Friday, January 30, 2009

Snow Bling!

We did the easiest project this week for Friday's Book Project. It was so much fun! I did a mini science lesson with BFG with this book Why Does It Snow? which turned out to be a very good simple explanation for preschoolers.


And we followed it up with a craft: Making Our Own Snow Bling!
All you need is white glue, glitter of your choice, silicone mat (or waxed paper), and a whole lot of time. Oh, and a paper plate to shake the excess glitter onto if you are trying to keep the mess minimal, which is kind of an oxymoron when it comes to glitter.


Create snowflake designs on the silicone mat or waxed paper. Be sure to keep lines of glue thick and go back over any places that bead up and create unconnected lines. Cover with glitter. We used silver and white. Shake off the excess.

After the glue completely dries, it peels right off and you have the coolest snowflakes ever! It will take a long time to dry, but it is totally worth it. And, take my advice, wait for it to completely dry. I peeled up a couple before they were completely dry and the lines broke and messed them up. But after drying all the way, they pop right off.


We hung them up with silver thread. What kitchen doesn't need a little Snow Bling for the season?

Oh, and wouldn't these make good spider webs, too?

Have fun!
Mama Said







5 comments:

Sandy said...

Fantastic!

Vickie said...

This is so cool!! We are gonna do this project. We have the supplies. I am geeked!

Lara said...

I love this book series. I picked up a bunch at a yard sale about 3 years ago and we still read them on a regular basis.

Tara said...

Oooh, we are going to do this!! I picked up the whole set of these books at the Goodwill for a couple dollars and we LOVE it. Thanks for sharing it!

Dee Light said...

What a fun book and craft. Thanks for sharing.

 

Made by Lena