Monday, January 5, 2009

Ol' Mr. Guinea Hen


Yesterday was a sad day for us. We discovered that Ol' Mr. Guinea Hen had wondered out on the road and gotten hit by a car and passed away. BFG and I have just cried and cried over that ol' bird. He was just so special. He was the last of the flock that the previous owners had. The only one left by the time we bought the house. I am still tearing up just thinking about it. (BTW, this pic is not of our guinea. Whaah! I never got one!!!)


Oh, I know I complained about guinea poop on a daily basis and complained how he ate all the cat's food. But I loved that thing. I loved seeing him strut all over the yard acting goofy. I loved how he'd get to hollering if anything out of the ordinary happened. (Guinea Hens are super watchdogs!) I even loved how he'd wait at the door for us to come out in the morning. And how he'd fly up on the deck railing and talk to me esp. if he was mad about something. Like when we put the baby chicks in his house. He let me have it for weeks over that. And my favorite has to be how he would taunt my sister's dogs by getting right at the shock collar line. But then he was so stupid that he'd forget what he was doing and accidentally cross over going after a bug or something and the dogs would almost get him and he'd take off flying across the yard. They can fly really high, too.


So, you see, it was more than just a dumb ol' bird on our farm. He was part of our family. Even Rhett is sad. To help you understand, BFG's words on the situation were that it "ruined her heart and broke her Christmas." (And that was said while sobbing so hard she could barely breathe.)


I know we'll be fine and it could be way, way worse. We're just sad right now.


Sigh,

Mama Said

1 comment:

Melissa said...

That makes me want to cry too...it' "ruined her heart and broke her Christmas"...what a sweet little thing she is.

Speaking of the funny things kids say sometimes, Jack has been blending the phrases "it's on the tip of my tongue" with "I can't put my finger on it" and so now whenever he can't think of what he wanted to say, it comes out as "I can't put my tongue on it!" Eww..gross!! We should hope not.

I'll be thinkin' about you guys and Mr. Guinea. I think that would "ruin my heart" too. :(

Love ya,
Mel

 

Made by Lena