Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Snowy Day Art Project



Friday I did a mini art lesson and art project with BFG and her two cousins. It was part of our Snow Princess Party. I used the book The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats. I talked to the kids about how he was the author and illustrator and had won a Caldecott Medal for his awesome artwork. I taught them about part of his method to create his artwork was collage. We looked at the book page by page and I pointed out each place where you could visibly tell he had cut out paper or cloth and used it in the collage (Peter's pajamas, his mother's dress, cotton for the clouds, etc.). I challenged them to use construction paper to create their own collages like The Snowy Day. I demonstrated how they could tear the paper or cut it and I made a tree with snow on it or something being careful to emphasize that their own collage did NOT have to look like mine.



I was so pleased with the results! They turned out better than I had hoped. BFG's is a little rough, but good for a four-year-old. And you can see that she grasped the concept of collage which was the point of the lesson. I think for her age and younger, it would be a good idea to already have various shapes and pieces already cut out to use.



BFG's Snowy Day (age 4)


Boy Wonder's Snowy Day (almost age 9)




Curly Sue's Snowy Day (age 7)

I was so impressed by hers!!! Look at how she pieced Peter together! And if you're familiar with the book, you'll recognize she was trying to recreate the scene where Peter is sitting out during the big boy's snowball fight. And I did not have the book opened to that page during the project! I am just amazed by her picture!

Stay warm and cozy,
Mama Said






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Curly Sue told me that the boy was sitting on his knees!!! I don't remember that page in the book. Was he sitting on his bottom or his knees? Anyway, now that she told me that, I can totally see how she did it. I think it looks amazing! :) All of them did such a great job! Thank you for thinking up such a cool art project!!

Jacquelyn

Mama Said said...

He was sitting on his bottom. But one page had him sitting with his knee bent up. Maybe that's where she got it.
And you're welcome!

Jess @ Just a Blink said...

Hi! I wandered over to your blog from Her Cup Overflowth. I loved you snow prince/princess party!

I thought I would encourage you to post your very creative "book project" on Just for Fun's Friday Mr. Linky.

Mama Said said...

Jessy,

Thanks for the idea! I tried to post over at your blog and just could not get it to go through. It kept saying I wasn't who I said I was which is just hilarious when you think about it. I will try to post it tomorrow at Sandy's.

BTW, liked your blog!

Mama Said

Vickie said...

Good project with the paper collage idea. My kids love ripping paper.

Sandy said...

Very nice! That is one of my favorite books:)

 

Made by Lena