We used the book A Color of His Own by Leo Lionni, which is about a chameleon who is sad because he always changes color and doesn't have his own color like other animals do.

I rummaged through my old scrapbooking paper and cut pieces 5"x6". I cut a piece of cardstock 12.5"x 5.5" and folded in the middle to create the cover. I traced the chameleon from the book onto the cardstock cover (it was some really thin cardstock). Then I took a piece of acetate 4.5"x 5.5" and traced the chameleon with a permanent marker. (If you don't have any acetate paper (which is the old school transparency paper, then try a plastic report cover or any sturdy plastic--I'm thinking like from the packaging of a toy or something.)

I stacked all the scrapbooking papers inside the cover and stapled the edge.

I used double-sided sticky tape and placed an invitation sized envelope on the back. I folded the flap down inside of the envelope to create a pocket. Then I placed the acetate chameleon in the pocket.
After BFG and I read the story, she got to explore with the chameleon and make up her own story for him. I have to say our chameleon went to much more exciting places like when he jumped so high he looked like the sky . . .

Or when he went to the beach to live happily ever after.

For younger kids, this is a great way to explore colors. The chameleon can go all over the house trying to be blue in every room or leaping from red to red, etc.
But be careful, he can hide really well! I think later we will play hide-and-seek with the chameleon! That should keep BFG busy for awhile!
Have fun!Mama Said


5 comments:
I love it! Thanks for participating!
That is so cool! I have read that book before. I also have a clear sheet. I am gonna do this with the munchkins. Thanks for sharing!
What a fab idea!! You're so creative!! I just wished it flowed as naturally from me. :)
That is such a great idea.
I love Leo Lionni's books and this is really a wonderful idea. Thank you!
Post a Comment