While I was having my surgery, I witnessed something very sad that has put me on my knees thankful for my own circumstances crazy as they may seem at times. While we were in the pretesting/outpatient waiting room, we saw a couple about our age come in and the wife was obviously pregnant. Their faces looked very upset and they kept getting called before us and I just knew in my gut something was wrong. I mentioned it to Rhett 'cause we all know how observant guys are and he agreed with me, but we didn't know what it was.
Later, I was in the holding area (Yes, that's what they call it. Lovely, isn't it?) where you're laying there in a bed and they start your IV and the anesthesiologist tells you might die and all that. This is an esp. fun time for me since they always take away my glasses before taking me there and I can barely see my hand in front of my face. But, I somehow managed to make out the blob that was the wife of the pregnant couple. Her bed was placed in holding right next to mine. But we were only separated by a curtain. I admit. I eavesdropped but I did with the purpose of praying for her so maybe that's not too bad.
My suspicions were right and she was there for a D & C. And, unfortunately for her, her doctor was not in on that day and another doctor from the practice came to meet her and perform the surgery. So, while she was meeting the doctor, I heard her explain the story. She was 34 yrs old. She has two other children. This was her third pregnancy. No other miscarriages. At nine weeks, her doctor didn't hear the heart beat but told her it was early and not to worry. Then, a few weeks later she started spotting. Her doctor's nurse told her not to worry unless it became bright red. Well, it did become bright red the night before we were there at the hospital and she went to the emergency room to discover she had lost the baby. Isn't that so sad? I'm sure it happens to people all the time, but it is soooo sad no matter what. And, ya'll, she was really showing. Like maternity top showing. You know they had told the kids already. My heart just breaks for her. My infertility struggle may seem hard and toilsome to me, but it is nothing, nothing compared to what she is going through. And I am so thankful that so far it has not been God's plan for me to endure that kind of pain.
Another interesting twist, I had never thought of . . .
The doctor asked her if she wanted the fetus sent to genetics for testing to see what went wrong. I didn't hear her answer. I don't know what I would do. Would it make it easier to know like yes, there was a handicap? But what if you found out nothing was wrong? I think I would want to know the gender of the baby so I could name it and dream about seeing it in Heaven one day. I don't know. That would be hard. And why didn't they ask her that while she was still in the room with her husband? That's totally unfair. I think that might even be something where I would have to let Rhett make that decision because he's so much wiser about what my emotions can handle.
Please pray for this lady and her family,
Mama Said
How We Found Out Our Son Had Cancer...Again
6 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment