Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Boo!

Here's how our pumpkin turned out! I love it! I'm surprised BFG picked out such a scary one, but it turned out great. This was the first time we've used a template. Yea for templates! Super easy. There are tons of free templates online but I liked http://www.dltk-holidays.com/halloween/mpatterns.htm the best. They even have Spongebob, Scooby, and Blue's Clues. We got a HUGE pumpkin at a roadside stand this year for $5. I think it's the biggest one I've ever had. Way bigger than the ones at the corn maze. What? I didn't tell you about the corn maze?

Oh, I decided that to save on time and gas money (this was the first of Oct. when it was $4.00/gal) that we would forego our annual trip to a pumpkin farm about 45 minutes away and go instead to the local corn maze. BFG was free to get in which was a plus and the hayride and bonfire was included with our admission. Of course, it was 80 degrees so a bonfire wasn't all that fun, but oh well. It could have been really, super-duper fun if BFG was about 3 or 4 yrs older, we had gone after dark, and it wasn't so hot. But, ya' know we don't roll like that. We have a tendency to make things as difficult as possible.

Nah, it really wasn't so bad. Rhett started us off and we immediately were lost. He kind of has this thing against maps. So, we entered the maze, were lost for 5 minutes, and then exited the maze somehow at a lookout bridge. I don't know. But I was trying to let Rhett be the hero and I let him lead us back in. Then, we happened upon a snake that Rhett was convinced was poisonous. I have no idea if it was or not but that sealed the deal for me on him leading. For awhile. Til we were aimlessly going in circles. And BFG was quickly losing interest. And my IBS started cranking up. And dusk was approaching and we did not have a flash light. I finally snatched the map from him and took the lead. The problem was I had to like keep my finger on the map and my nose pressed to it and I had to walk right along with my finger moving so I had to go at a pretty fast pace. Meanwhile, every trick I had used to keep BFG interested waned. She was whining and complaining. She just wanted out of the maze. Well, so did I. She ended up wanting to play Barbie's Princess and the Pauper while going through this maze. I was Pauper and luckily got by with just uttering a yes, princess every once in a while without having to look up from the map. Rhett had also let BFG pick up a corn stalk and hit the stalks in the maze with it which is totally against the rules. But I totally let it go because we were the only ones in the whole stinkin' maze and it gave her something to do.

So, here we go. I'm leading with the map literally right under my nose. Rhett is tailing me. BFG is the Princess and is trailing along singing all the songs from the movie and smashing cornstalks right and left. She kept getting behind. Every time I looked up from the map, I would have to yell at Rhett to go get her. Rhett would have to run back and grab BFG and run her back up to me because I could not stop moving or I would have gotten us lost. It was a mess. And I was super happy to get out of the maze and I don't plan on going back for a long time. I did snap this awesome picture from the middle of the maze though. I'm telling ya' I live in God's country!





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the Pumpkin! All I can say on the corn maze is...ONLY YOU! :) You crack me up! I just love all your adventures.

Love ya,
Casi

Unknown said...

Great pumpkin.

Never been to a corn maze, and I must confess, it is now rapidly dropping down the list of "Things to do with the kids"!

Thanks for sharing.

Deanna said...

We go to our corn maze every year. Last year hubs thought it would be an adventure if he took one son through section A while I took our other son through section B. I am so directionally challenged and kind of panicked. Thank goodness there were tw bridges in the middle with employees keeping watch. A sweet teenager keep pointing and telling me which way to turn. My hubs never could figure out how I got out so quickly. I plan to keep that secret!

Kristen said...

THAT is a wide jack-o-lantern smile if I've ever seen one! Love it!

Muthering Heights said...

Your pumpkin looks great! We weren't brave enough to go very far into the corn maze around here, LOL!

 

Made by Lena