Wednesday, August 13, 2008

An 18 Year Old Dream Come True!

Remember her? Peaches and Cream Barbie. She was one of my favorites. She was my sister's, but I played with her so much more than she did.


Or what about her? I can't remember her name, but she came with that little tube of lipstick that you could put on her and she could kiss Ken's cheek. Me and my sis both had one of these.


Anyone have her? She came with fabric roses you could tie on and decorate her with. And I think she smelled like roses too (when she was new, not 20 years later, we won't go there).
And who else fell for the Jem fad? Remember how her earrings would flash and she'd change into Jem the Rockstar and the dolls came with cassette tapes of their songs and their enemy was the band called the Misfits. "Jem, Jem is excitement! Ooooh, Jem!"

When I put all these dolls away when I was 12 or so, I vowed that I was going to save them for my own daughter one day. And I promise you, one of my first thoughts when when BFG came out a girl was "Oh my gosh!!!! I am going to get to pass on my old Barbies!!!!" The Big Day finally came on Monday. She was so excited. I was so excited. Sniff. I've got a tear in my eye just thinking about it. I am so glad I did that. It was really cool going through all my old Barbie stuff and seeing BFG get excited about the same things I loved and played with for days on end. Of course, some things weren't quite as spectacular as I remembered. Alot of the clothes were torn or missing snaps. (Yeah, for all you young people, Barbie clothes used to have snaps, not velcro. And they fit a heck of alot better with snaps, too.) Alot of the bodies were broken and some of them had sticky legs from the attic heat. So, we've got about 12 heads for 4 bodies. I just had so much junk in the box. Like trash. And I used that when I played. It's just weird. It's the same kind of stuff that gravitates into BFG's Barbie stash that I keep wanting to throw away and she won't let me. Isn't it weird how our imaginations change? And it is so weird how possessive I still am over my stuff. I totally didn't want BFG using my favorite Barbie brush. Uh, she might lose it and it's my favorite.

Anyway, it was a beautiful moment. Good times, good times.

Mama Said

6 comments:

Melissa said...

When can I come play?? I remember playing with Peaches and Cream on sleep overs with Jac. I loved her!!! I can't believe you still have them. I'm so jealous. I also had a Jem doll but she never held a candle to Barbie in my opinion. So glad BFG will enjoy them. Maybe she'll blog to her friends in 20 years too! LOL!

Anonymous said...

The red-and-white one...Angel Heart, maybe?

Um....if Peaches-N-Cream was mine, then can I have her? Or is possession 9/10ths of the law? LOL!!!!

Jac

Sheyb said...

That is so cute!!! I got to give my Barbie's to my oldest daughter too! :) Unfortunately, I didn't take great care of them. :( But she Loves that "these used to me my mommy's Barbie's". So, that is all that matters to me. :) My youngest daughter gets them when oldest doesn't want them anymore.

Mama Said said...

Melissa,
I can't believe your mom wouldn't let you have Barbie's, but let you have Jem! What the heck?

Jac,
Peaches & Cream is yours. The problem is I have her head and the dress, but no body and I'm only down to about 4 bodies. So, what do you want me to do? Does curly Sue want her? And I think you owe me a huge favor for keeping up with her (well her head and dress) for 20 years! LOL!

Shealynn,
Girl, I hope everybody takes a peeksie at your blog and reads about what was in your hair the other day! I'm still laughing over that!

Melissa said...

I'll pass...Jem was always a second-best wanna be Barbie. She was the rebel doll; the "bad" girl that hung with the the wrong crowd after school. Now Barbie, she was a good girl...student council for sure. No, I had a Jem doll and when her flashing earrings no longer worked, well the magic was just gone...the magic was gone I tell ya.

Maybe I need some therapy? LOL

Stacey said...

I came across your blog, and read this one on the barbies and laughed a bit, I have all those barbies and recently passed them down to my oldest daughter as well.
Small world huh? I also love the muffin tin idea! I am going to try it.
Thanks,
Stacey

 

Made by Lena