Ooooh, I am so into name brand clothing! But only when it is second-hand or 75% off at Dillard's. I refuse to pay retail for name brand clothes. But, honey, when I come across those name brands at a yard sale or consignment sale for dirt cheap, my little ol' heart jumps a beat, my blood pressure rises, my pulse quickens, my eyes dilate, and I think I even salivate a little. Aaaaah . . . the beauty of dressing your family like big bucks on a real budget of a dime. And, let's face it, good name brand used clothing lasts a lot longer than new clothes from a discount store.
Here's my problem (I mean besides the addict reaction I have to used name brand clothes): I love my deals so much that I freak out when they get stains. Am I the only one? For example, Rhett gets a lot of black grease on his khakis when he has to work on equipment out on the line. I just kind of give 'em a little squirt of stain remover, shrug, and go on. I just can't worry about it or waste the time on it. Yet the other day, he was wearing a pair of Nautica khaki pants I had recently bought him and got caulk on them. I shrieked, "Those are the Nautica pants I got for 99 cents!!! Give them to me right now so I can get that off!!!" and I made him hand them over right there in the kitchen.
Let's take an example from BFG. Every season, I buy her those little T-shirts from Target when they go 75% off. In her size now, they cost $1.20 or so per shirt. I buy them brand new to be play clothes. I let her where them for every day and lots of times I don't even try to get the stains out. I just don't care about a $1.00 shirt from Target. But a Gymboree shirt I got for a $1.00 is gold. Absolute gold! A week or so ago, BFG and I were at a yard sale and she sees this white dress that was several sizes too big. But it was only 50 cents and she really wanted it to play wedding in. I got it for her to play in. But unfortunately for the both of us, I looked the tag up when I got home and realized it was a name brand. I was so excited!!!! I could sell this thing and make some money!!! But I had promised BFG that this was hers to play dress up in, so I had to let her. I was on pins and needles every time she played in it. "Be careful! Don't mess that dress up!!! Don't touch anything! Don't get a stain on it!!" Well, after only 3 times of playing in it, she shut me up. A felt tip black pen. Yup, right on the front. Again, I did the whole shrieking thing and made her take it off immediately to wash. But, it did not come out. Oh, well. Now, she can really play in it.
But I seriously think I have a problem. I can't believe I get so upset over 50 cent clothes just because they are a name brand. Y'all, I think this means that (Yikes!) I'm just as prideful as the people who pay full price for them! I don't think I'm prideful about the actual brands. I think it is pride for the deal I got. But it is still sooo wrong. On the other hand, I could look at it as I am making a better investment because name brands consign better and for more money. Yeah, that's it!
Mama Said
How We Found Out Our Son Had Cancer...Again
6 years ago


1 comment:
And when I say "I'm as bad as", I don't mean that if you buy name brand clothes at retail you are bad. Not at all. I just disagree with people who HAVE to wear a brand name and refuse to buy any other type of clothes and/or people who look down on me because I buy second-hand clothes. And, yes, I have had someone specifically let me know they looked down on my practices. So, I guess I have a bit of chip on my shoulder about that. Sorry if I offended anyone!
Post a Comment