Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Shoe Search

I had this big ol' post I was going to do about my SHE cards, but geez! What a day! I really think that one day I could put together all my experiences running errands and have a bestselling book. I'm sure it would sell because every mother can relate! The stuff we go through while running errands is just plain ol' insane.

I will admit that I did make a few mistakes on this trip. Well, let me start off with our goals.
Goal #1: Buy Rhett some new tennis shoes just like the ones he already has but have become too stinky to be kept inside the house.
Goal #2: Buy powdered milk, eggs, & cream cheese.
Goal #3: Buy Rhett some personal clothing. Apparently all his stuff is wearing out at the same time.

Mistake #1: I started off my day with a slight migraine (Thanks, Clomid!) and forgot to take anything before we left and had nothing with me to take. Dumb-da-dumb-dumb!
Mistake #2: Tried the local shoe outlet to see if by chance if they might have Rhett's shoes. Not sure what I was thinking. Big waste of time esp. the 20 minutes I spent looking for shoes for me that I did not buy.
Mistake #3: Getting sidetracked by two of the stores in the strip mall where Shoe Carnival is and getting suckered into buying BFG a water bottle jug thing that says Jesus Loves Jasmine (For those of you who don't know, Jasmine is NOT BFG's name). In my defense though, they were 75% off, she's wanted one for a long time, and she can pretend she's Princess Jasmine from Aladdin when drinking from it.
Mistake #4: Thinking that Shoe Carnival would have the shoes.
Mistake #5: Banking on the free samples from Sam's being mine and BFG's lunch. Ooops! All we got was 1 corndog nugget (just one, I didn't get to eat one, the lady only put out one at a time and wouldn't give me a second one for me), a little bite of a chicken strip each, and a bite of beef jerky each. I just wonder do they put the sourest old people in charge of the samples or what? If you are going to give FREE food, be a cheerful giver, darn it! Don't begrudge every bite you pass out.
Mistake #6: Going to Sam's to buy the powdered milk. OMG! I could not find it anywhere! I am just sure they sell it. They have to. They're Sam's for Pete's sake. But none, nada, nothing after scouring every aisle. Of course, there was no one to ask. I guess all the workers were in the back chowing down on all the free samples they didn't pass out to the customers.
Mistake #7: Not buying the shoes at the 3rd shoe store that are just like Rhett's except for blue Adidas stripes for $40. They didn't carry them in all white. So, of course, I held out and drug BFG to the mall and finally found the shoes! Yeah, I found them. For 70 bucks. Forget that. For $30, ol' Rhett can live with some blue stripes.

All in all, it was just miserable. Out of 4 shoe stores, Sam's, Old Navy, and Lifeway, I ended up with the Jesus Loves Jasmine bottle, 2 $5 movies from Lifeway, Rhett's personal garments, and 10 lbs. of sugar. Oh, and a bottle of Gatorade from the mall vending machine for BFG. My head hurt so bad by the time we were done, my eyes were tearing up.

Poor BFG! We walked past the play area at the mall which has a half-wall around it. I kind of stopped and looked for a minute thinking "BFG has been sooooo good. I really should let her play for a few minutes." But I was just too tired and I kept going.
BFG: Mama, what are they doing?
Me: Oh, I don't know. (Liar!)
BFG: Playing or something? (Busted!)
Me: Yeah, they might be. Sounds like they are having fun.
BFG: But we're not, Mama? We're not having fun?
Me: No, sweetie. We're not anymore.

Later when Rhett got home, he told me I could buy him absolutely any shoe I wanted to. He didn't care. It didn't have to be the same. Now, this is NOT what he said when he asked me to go buy him some. After the torturous shoe search in 90 degree weather with a 3 yr. old and a migraine, I cried when he told me that. Cried. Can you believe it? I guess I can. It's day 4 of the Clomid and by day 4, I am a crazy person. Last month on day 4, I argued with anyone and everyone I came across. I pray I get pregnant and all, but I have to say that I am so glad this is the last cycle. I hate being on this stuff.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Toot! Toot! Mama's on the "Crazy Train". I know how you feel...it's the drugs man, the drugs I tell ya! Praying for a swift end to your pill cycle.

And yes...I too have wandered the aisles at Sam's for milk. Nada.

See ya Friday!
Love, Mel

Growing Hearts said...

I looked at milk at Wal-Mart. One gallon of skim was $3.95. Then I went and searched FOREVER for the powdered milk. The smaller box was almost $7.00. And it only made 8 quarts. I was so tired, that I couldn't think how many quarts are in a gallon. So I didn't buy it. When I got home, I got out old Faithful (Better Homes and Garden cookbook) and looked it up. 4 qts = 1 gallon. So one box made 2 gallons of milk. That was almost the same as 2 gallons of real milk!!! I guess I'd rather pay the extra $1 for the taste of the real milk.

If someone can tell me where the cheapest place to get powdered milk is, please tell me!! I could be persuaded to drink it for a substantial savings!! LOL!!

PS. I thought you had one more refill after this one on your Clomid? Maybe I was wrong.

Love,
Jac

Lisa said...

Oh, I hate those days where you have to drag the kids all over the place and then are so exhausted at the end. Good luck with the Clomid, hopefully it will all be worth it in the end!!!

Melissa said...

Kroger has cheaper milk (even less than Aldi's). I just bought the 8 qt box the other day and figured my per gallon cost to be around $2.50 or $2.75 (I can't remember) and it wasn't on sale. Check there.

Mama Said said...

Kroger is the best place I've found to buy it too. I bought the big box which makes 20 qts. for $12.99. That's 5 gallons of milk at $2.60 a gallon. Based on the price of $3.95/gallan, that is a savings of $1.35 per gallon or $6.75 for 5 gallons.It's not that much cheaper in price per gallon. But you save even more money in other ways. 1) you are not spending gas or time to run to the store to pick up a gallon of milk. 2) You are eliminating the need to go to the store as frequently which saves money if you're like me and end up with impulse buys and saves loads of time. 3) I can fix an average of 2 qts. a week and use it with no waste. With regular milk, I was constantly throwing away milk because it spoiled before we used it. In the past couple of months, I have poured out several gallons of milk, which is a big waste of money and nullifies the fact that it didn't cost much more. Anyway, those are some other things to think about when figuring of the cost of real milk vs. powdered. Sometimes saving is not just about the numbers.
BTW, my doc did give me an extra refill on the Clomid. But he told me only to do 3 cycles. That's why I'm counting this as the last one. I'm s'posed to call him if not pregnant. So, I'll see what he says about taking one more.

Growing Hearts said...

That's weird that Kroger would be cheaper, isn't it? LOL! Thanks for that info. I will still have to think about the savings. I might have to fix some for DH to see what he thinks. He's actually the biggest milk drinker in the house. If he can stand the taste, then I will probably go for it. Powdered milk IS handy when you need to milk for a recipe and you realize you are out of milk. :)

 

Made by Lena