Thursday, July 10, 2008

Desperate Households

I've been promising a review of the book Desperate Households by Kathy Peel for awhile now. I found it right after I read S.H.E (Sidetracked Home Executives). I liked what I read in SHE, but I went ahead and read Dsp. HH just in case it contained the magic cure in which I could have a clean house without actually cleaning. Uh, it didn't. So don't get your hopes up. I've read so many organizing books now that I think I have to finally face that I am going to have to clean day in and day out for the rest of my life. Sigh.

I liked Dsp. HH and would recommend reading it. However, it wasn't specific enough for me for that to be my only resource. She takes more of a decide on your priorities, decide how much mess you can live with, and how to fix problem areas approach. I am too loopy for that and all that deciding makes my brain hurt. I want a step 1-do this, step 2-do this, etc. (which is more of what SHE is). But I did like it and got some useful things out of it.

I will say that I did absolutely love her Christian viewpoint on maintaining your household. She explains and supports the traditional Christian roles for man and wife. I am thrilled to see her Christian perspective throughout the book since she has been on Oprah and The Early Show. I pray that people who might not have been exposed to the Lord got a chance to read about Him.

The premise of the book is that she divides managing the household into 7 departments and then each chapter is about how to "makeover" that department. Each chapter also includes a chart in which you can find your problem and she gives ideas on how to solve it. Pretty helpful esp. if you do have just some problem areas and are not living in a train wreck like I am.

One thing that stood out to me was she said that it didn't matter how shiny your sink was if your were screaming at your family to get it done. Seeing as I was screaming at my family while trying to get my SHE cards done, I realized the cards and a spotless house aren't worth it if I can't be kind to my family. So, I've laxed up a bit and luckily, the cards get easier and easier to complete taking up less time and lessening the need to scream at anyone or anything that gets in your path.

She says to make a Daily Hit list each morning for the tasks you need to complete. That is helpful. But with the SHE cards, I already have my "list" ready to go without having to take time out to do it.

Desp. HH did inspire me to redo my meal plan/menu or lack thereof. I am so excited about this! I'm going to post my menu makeover plan soon for ya'll. It helps so much. I've done it before but never stuck with it. So, I'm really trying to do something I can just rotate.

Dsp. HH also really, really, really encourages getting up early. This hit me hard 'cause I don't. But I have known for years that I need to get up early and I know that it would improve my household so much. Can you tell I still haven't done it? I'm going to though. Ya'll challenge me. I have GOT to do this. This is going to be one of my biggest struggles. But I'm determined to do it before I start homeschool preschool with BFG this fall.

And I guess I have to say after reading the book, I thought ya' know I really could be okay with some mess. Do I really want to spend time every month cleaning baseboards and dusting every nook and cranny? I seriously think I am just fine with doing a major spring and major fall cleaning for all that kind of stuff which is totally opposite of SHE. That is my complaint with SHE that when you do it fully, you spend hours upon hours cleaning every week. I desperately need my SHE cards to keep up. But I think I may limit the SHE system to help me with the basics to preserve my sanity and keep things rolling smoothly. But I'm not gonna worry about being spotless. I want to live my life and enjoy BFG. There is time enough for a spotless house later on down the road.

Mama Said

3 comments:

Growing Hearts said...

Thanks for the review! I got my copy of "SHE" in the mail today from PaperBack Swap! Woo hoo! But I think I would still like to read "Desperate Household". God knows how desperate my household is!

Oh, and I like how you changed fonts and the size of the font! Much easier on mine eyes!! :)

Jac

Melissa said...

I second that opinion of tackling the basics but letting perfection slide. One thing the SHE system doesn't account for is juggling homeschool with household maintenance. I'd much rather enjoy life a little more (with good friends and good food ;0) than worry about whether my baseboards (or ceiling fans for that matter) are clean enough to eat from.

I also think the "early riser" effect is a great idea! I know that the days where I succeed in that department are always better, more productive days! It is also easier to get in my quiet time and I'm less likely to be short with DS for feeling like I'm starting the day behind. You can do it!!

Destination Mom said...

The best book I have ever found on this subject is called: The Art of Homemaking by Edith Schaeffer. A must for any home, IMHO. You can find it on Ebay or Amazon pretty inexpensively. It does provide concrete ideas on everything regarding the home.

Amy Bailey

 

Made by Lena