Thursday, May 1, 2008

Sidetracked

I recently read Sidetracked Home Executives which is the book from which Flylady based her book. I've done Flylady before and did great for about 10 months. Then, BFG was born and I've been going downhill ever since. I can't keep up with ANYTHING! Most of the time I don't know who I am or where I'm at. I can start running my bath water, walk away, and within 2 minutes completely forget that I ever started it. I hate being like this. Once upon a time far far away, I was really, really smart. Now, I can't even utter a complete sentence to my 3 yr. old without stammering. What is wrong with me? constantly goes through my mind. And the messier my house gets, the less I want to do anything about it.

I really think that I'm like the authors of S.H.E. and totally sidetracked. I might start something, but something else catches my attention and I'm off and may never get back to what I started. This is why I asked Rhett to take over paying the bills. I could look at a bill for a week straight and think "I have got to pay that today" and get sidetracked and never pay it until the last day and would be in a mad panic to be sure it wasn't late. I think I am so overwhelmed esp. with the new house that I must have something concrete to keep me in order. I am so tired of living life in a mad panic, a chaotic day late and a out-of-budget dollar short. I have to say I am scared though. Scared to start one more thing and months later mourn the fact that I never finished it. So, if I start this SHE plan, I have to see it through. I have to.

If your are FLYing or are a Flylady dropout like me, you may be interested in Sidetracked Home Executives. I really like things from both plans. But, sitting on this side of the fence, I think I like SHE's plan for task organization better. You use index cards in a file box with numbered dividers. To me, I need that "okay, on May 16, I am doing this, this, and this." I think the lists with Flylady were too vague and too easy to put off. And, if you throw a little Dave Ramsey philosophy in there, a list keeps me concentrating on what all I have left to do. With the cards, I can complete one at a time and get my momentum going by feeling I have accomplished something.

So, I was thinking about trying to start off really slow to ensure success. I thought I'd get my feet wet with something like wake up early and make the beds for a couple of weeks or so. But, I talked my sister into doing this thing with me and she started buying up index cards and dividers and such and is ready to jump in. So, I guess I'll try to get up to my shins wet at least. We're really hoping our friend Melissa will join us and keep us motivated. Hint, hint. (Casi, we would ask you, honey, but you are the one we are all striving to be like! LOL! You don't need it. You are what they call "Born Organized.") So, whisper a prayer for us, everyone. Our families need it!

2 comments:

Mama Said said...

BTW, I was not in any way implying that our friend Melissa needs the SHE system. Her home is immaculate every time we visit. She claims that she needs a system and has expressed interest in it. I'm just hoping if several of us are doing it that I will stick with it. Sorry, Mel, if it sounded any other way.

Melissa said...

Sure, sure. I can take the hint! :) I know ya'll think I have it together but I SO do not. For example, my kitchen table and counter tops all look like the craft aisle at Hobby Lobby puked all over them. There is tulle, scissors, ornaments, my paper trimmer all strewn about the counter. There are scraps of trash all over the floor...and why haven't I vacuumed?? Because I keep getting sidetracked with everything else. Laundry is in need of folding, our school room table hasn't seen the light of day in weeks, and honestly I cannot tell you what my child's room looks like because I haven't treaded there in ages. So...I am in most certain need of some method to organize my life. Post Haste! (But it will have to wait until after next week...I still have to finish our taxes that we filed an extension on. Why? Because I'm not together enough to have it ready on time.). There! I said it. Procrastinators of America Unite!! Tomorrow.

p.s. Remind me the next time I think it a good idea to digest a Diet Mt. Dew at 4:30 in the afternoon that my body does not process caffeine the same way as it did 5 years ago. I am WIRED tonight. Maybe I should take advantage of my energy and work on our taxes. Nah…some other day.

 

Made by Lena