Here's the pics I took in July and meant to post way back then . . .

Aaaah . . . the corn. The corn caused me absolutely the most stress. Being the novice I was, I could not tell when it was ready and drove myself nuts over it. But I've learned for next year. Oh, and of course, I had to battle the raccoons over the corn. It was war!!!

Um . . . our basil did a little too great. It grew to three times the size you see here. It still smells so good out there. Of course, my big plans of canning homemade spaghetti sauce with it never came into fruition. And I read a day late and a dollar short that you have to harvest the leaves before it blooms. C'est la vie! Next year, next year . . .
We had eggplants out the wazoo! Too bad I had no good recipes on what to do with them. I tried one Eggplant Parmesan recipe that was a flop. Rhett ended up giving them away at work. They were just beautiful to look at though.
Our squash and zucchini took over! It did absolutely fabulous! Toward the end, we did have so much rain that powdery mildew did develop. I fought it for a while, but eventually I was like I already have a ton of this frozen and we've eaten it til we could puke. It's time to let it go. It's hard to let something in your care just die though. Next year, I think I should plant it farther apart.
Aaaah . . . the crowning glory of our garden this year. We all ate watermelon til we puked too. But it was probably the most exciting thing to me to grow. I can't believe it grew! And it was so easy 'cause we had so much rain this year. We'll probably never be able to do it again 'cause you know how we don't actually like to work in the garden or anything. Thanks for looking!
Mama Said


2 comments:
I have harvested my basil after it has flowered and it has still been fine (I have heard that rule, too). Sometimes I cut off any flowers that are trying to form, but I'm not usually that quick. Last year, because of a late frost, we had tomatoes and basil in the garden until mid-December! Mine had some flowers, but it still tasted great.
Wow, those eggplants look gorgeous! Sometimes I take them, cut them long ways from the side, sprinkle salt to get the moisture out of them for a couple hours. Then, just put them in a griddle pan with no oil. Just the eggplant, grill to both sides are brown. Refrigerate, drizzle olive oil and a bit of balsamic vinegar and it is delicious. Mind you, I live in Italy and my Sicilian friend gave me the recipe so it may not be to everyone's liking, but it is yummy!!
Post a Comment