As a part of our leaf unit, BFG and I read the book Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert. We were just fascinated by the illustrations and decided to create our own Leaf Man book. All you need are some leaves, berries, acorns, etc., white paper, a camera, and photo album. I highly recommend the book, but ya'll could have tons of fun coming up with your own creations. 
We took about an hour exploring outside and gathering up our leaves and other treasures. And we set to work seeing if we could recreate Ms. Ehlert's pictures. We had to get creative because we did not have the same type leaves she did and she used color copies of leaves which allowed her to do different things. But it seriously turned out great! Isn't the duck precious?

We did NOT glue the leaves down. BFG created her animal, we snapped a picture, and dumped the leaves back into the pile to start on the next "page". I think the cow is my absolute fave! The udders are just too cute!

The next day we ran to Wal-Mart and printed out our pics using the one hour lab. I put the pictures in a cheap photo album and went through them one by one letting her "write" her story as I typed out the captions. A little print-print here and a snip-snip there and we had BFG's very own Leaf Man book!

She is so, so proud of this book! The whole idea from its conception just thrilled her. She couldn't sleep the night before knowing that when morning came she would get to make a Leaf Man book.
She literally spent hours making the pictures--trying to copy Ms. Ehlert's and creating her very own. The next morning, the materials were still out on the table and she made even more pictures. I hope some of ya'll try this and have as much fun as we did!
Mama Said (aka Leaf Mama)


1 comment:
That is SO cute!! You really should sent this idea to Crafty Crow!! It's so unique!
Jacquelyn
Post a Comment