Do you ever have those moments where everything is going super and then---Bam! Disaster strikes! Happens to me all the time. Little stuff like cooking a perfect, beautiful complete home-cooked meal for your family for the first time in weeks and then burning your finger as you take the rolls out of the oven. Or big stuff like being Melissa on the Bachelor--ya' know, winning and then been dumped on national television. (I'm so mad about that! But that's another story.)
Anyway, the other night we left my parents' house after visiting and dropping BFG off to spend the night. We had met there so Rhett was driving his truck in front of me. I had one of those rare moments alone in the car. Bon Jovi's "Shot Through the Heart" came on and I was jammin'! I mean I was just belting out the lyrics and doing hand motions and everything. Another song I liked came on that I'd been wanting to hear for awhile. By this time, I get to the highway and am just flying high through the night. Just jammin', looking forward to a BFG-free night, ready to watch ER, a great time. Then . . . dunh, Dunh, DUNH!
My IBS hit me like a ton of bricks. I think it ties or was maybe even worse than the Target Story because I was still like 10 miles from home. My little moment in the car turned into a nightmare superquick! It was terrible! First of all, Rhett is not known as the fastest driver in the world to put it nicely and I couldn't get around him. Second, I was in full stomach-cramping-sweating-I'm-never-gonna-make-it mode. Ya'll, I was hollerin' and prayin', turned the A/C on full blast, was shedding my jacket . . . I was in a panic. About 5-6 miles from home, I really thought I hadn't made it. So, at this point, I'm very angry that Rhett won't carry a cell phone and I'm about ready to run him off the road. Finally, we get to the square of our community. He turned off on the first entrance. So, I floored it and went to the second one. We met head on at our road. I was desperate not to be behind him again. I flashed my lights at him and totally whipped in front of him and cut him off turning on our road. Then, I flew home. I left everything in the car even my purse which is so not like me. And, ya' know what? I did make it! The good Lord did answer my prayers! I made it home before . . . well, you know.
Later, I asked Rhett if he figured it out. He said, "You mean when you almost ran me off the road? Yeah, and I had an idea when flew down our road going 60." (I so didn't. I only went 55!)
Anyway, my lesson in this was Why do situations like this make us so desperate? Would it have really mattered if I hadn't "made it" and had a mess to clean up? I mean, when I'm 80, would I have cared? Probably not. A potty accident by myself in the car would not have changed my life. So, then I think about my desperate cries and pleas to the Lord for clean drawers. He answered positively for which I praise Him and am grateful. But it made me think about what if I prayed like that for things that really matter like BFG's salvation or a family member's marriage or for our church . . . anything really that could make a real difference. Am I alone here on this? How often do ya'll pray in such a desperate way and fling yourself out there totally at His mercy and grace and will? It reminds of the examples in the Old Testament where people would dress in rags and beat their chests and stuff while praying (not that I was doing that while driving of course). I know I'm totally guilty of holding on to at least a little bit of my problems for myself. It's so hard to let go and put something out of my control.
Okay, wow! I did not mean to get that serious on the end of that! Oh, well! Funny story and food for thought for me.
Mama Said
How We Found Out Our Son Had Cancer...Again
6 years ago


2 comments:
Well said and very insightful. I love the part about how we could all learn more and apply Godly "desparation" in our prayer life on behalf of others.
Love,
Mel
I'm so upset about Melissa and the Bachelor too! It is sooo hard to just let God "take the wheel", but I've also learned my life is soo much better and FULL when I do! Love the insight on this topic.
Love ya,
Casi
Post a Comment