Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Houston, We Have A Sleeping Problem

Okay, okay. So it's more like a getting up problem. And, embarrassingly, it's MY problem.

Yup, I sleep late.

Every day.

Yes! Okay? I said it! I sleep late every single day and almost always do not get up until BFG comes downstairs. We get up anytime between 7:30 to 9:00 depending on whether she had a nap the day before or not. Okay, full confession. Yes, that means that some nights I get 9-10 hours of sleep. And, yes, I stay up all night reading 'cause it's my only time alone. And, yes, it keeps Rhett from getting a good night's sleep.

And, yes, I feel guilty! I know in my heart I could better serve my family and probably even change the tone if I would just get up early! I would have time to get things done. We wouldn't be rushed. I would scream and panic a whole lot less. BFG would not have her own little panic attacks saying "We're gonna miss it! We're gonna be late!" I just can't figure our where she's heard that! LOL!

I used to get up early. When BFG was a baby and she'd have me up at 6:30 am, we would just get on up and ready and be at the grocery store by 8:00. I remember my friend (who was my neighbor then) was so jealous. She said she would be stumbling to her cup of coffee and see me and BFG jet on by. Now, we are totally opposite! She's the one up early taking her kids to school and I'm slurping my coffee late.

I know you're saying, Just get up early, you lazy bum! I say that to myself every single day. My problem is that this is my battle of the flesh. My natural flesh would love to stay up all night and sleep all day, but the Spirit is telling me I need to get up early for my family. I battle myself every single day on this. I'll wake up when Rhett leaves for work and fight myself in my mind. Or I'll even set the alarm and when it goes off, I battle myself. So, far the flesh always wins. Isn't that pathetic? I enjoy sleep that much.

I'm telling ya'll about this because I really have to change this. I've been griping about it for years. Seriously, years. And I've got to do this. I've got to win this battle! I guess I feel like if I tell everyone, then I will have to follow through because more than I like sleep, I hate failure.

So, anyone else have this problem? Has anyone overcome this problem? Any tips, ideas, suggestions? Anything? Please, ya'll, I need your help and support!
Thanks,
Mama Said

4 comments:

groovie mom said...

Yes, I have this problem.

No, I can't help you.

Hubby says the reason I started homeschooling is so I wouldn't have to get up at some ungodly hour anymore. Can't say that was my motive, But I have to admit it is a major advantage! Spice usually wakes me up at precisely 7:36.

Tara said...

Until the last 3 weeks I had the same um...problem. If that's what you want to call it. I just called it getting a healthy amount of sleep :) I don't know how to tell you to fix it. The only reason I have to get up now is because I have to milk the goats before my husband leaves for work. So now I have to get up at, brace yourself--5:15 AM. This is not easy for me, but it has been getting easier. I have to agree with groovie mom...this is a definate advantage to homeschooling!!

Joy said...

I am going through the same thing. I used to love to get up early. Now, I cherish the quiet of the night too much.

One thing, maybe that might help is to make sure that you are getting all of your vitamins. My diet hasn't been the greatest lately either, and I think that may have something to do with it.

I'm also not a big water drinker... but have been forcing myself to drink a lot of water lately. If nothing else, the bathroom can be pretty persisent in getting you out of bed. ;)

Like I said though, I've been going through the same thing, I probably could've written your post word for word.

Good luck!

Mama Said said...

Thank you, everyone! I appreciate your comments and tips! It's so nice to know that I'm not the only one who loves to sleep in! I'm embarrassed to say, but the morning after I wrote this, BFG and I slept until 9:15 and only woke up then because Rhett called! But this morning, BFG got us up at 5:45. So, we'll just call this Day 1. LOL!

 

Made by Lena