Apparently more than we thought according to the powers that be. Read on for the details . . .
I was so disappointed the other day. In the past couple of weeks, I’ve read Pippi Longstocking out loud to BFG. We had an absolute blast reading it together! It was one of my faves as a child and I think it has become BFG’s as well. She was just thrilled to hear the outrageous stories of the silly girl who pretty much gets to do the opposite of everyone else. When we finally finished it and I kissed BFG good night, she called out to me, “Mama, I sure wish there were other books about Pippi.” I thought there was so I ran down to the computer and began my search.
And I tell ya’ what I found just burned me up!!! There is a new version (2007) of the original Pippi Longstocking and just read the review below that was on my library’s online card catalog. My comments are in blue.
School Library Journal Review
Gr 2 5 This oversize edition of the classic story has much to offer a new generation of readers. It has new full-color illustrations, some full spread, and a new translation. Nunnally updates some of Florence Lamborn's old-fashioned phrases (Um, what’s wrong with old-fashioned? When I was a kid, I was enthralled with old-fashioned books) and makes other terms more politically correct. For example, the original English translation calls Pippi's father a "Cannibal King," while this one calls him a "King of Natives." (When will people quit trying to rewrite history! You can’t go backward and make everything politically correct. And since when is the word “cannibal” politically incorrect? It’s just a joke in the story, people, showing how outrageous Pippi’s stories are and how she really didn’t know what she was talking about. Obviously, if they were really cannibals, they wouldn’t make her dad king. Duh!) In Lamborn's version, Pippi goes for a "morning promenade"; here, she simply goes for a "morning walk." (Oh, yeah, let’s dumb down all the words. We certainly wouldn’t want our kids to expand their vocabulary.) Nunnally's language flows naturally and gives a fresh, modern feel to the line drawings, filled with color and pattern, to create a Pippi who is full of personality. A variety of perspectives, colors, and textures adds movement and excitement to the story. Child often incorporates the text into the art, linking the text and illustration into a single whole. (There is absolutely nothing wrong with the old illustrations! Isn’t it amazing that kids have loved the book for 60 years with the pictures just the way they are. And—Gasp!—they actually get to use their imaginations!) Libraries should consider archiving (or retiring) older editions of this old favorite, and replacing them with this new offering. (Please, say it ain’t so! That is ridiculous! Classics are classics because they are wonderful and perfect the first go around!!!) Donna Cardon, Provo City Library, UT Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. From: Reed Elsevier Inc. Copyright Reed Business Information
Ya’ll, BFG is only 4! Get that—only 4 years old and absolutely loved the original story! I guess I got lucky and picked the old one up. She was exposed to a time that was completely unlike the time she is growing up in where little girls wore only dresses and little kids got to play outside without their parents watching and a three story building was the tallest building in town and all moms stayed at home and had coffee parties. She learned all kinds of new words including promenade because as we went along I taught her the definition. She was glued to my side begging for more even after I’d read 25-30 pages at a time. She had a sparkle in her eyes as she imagined the scenes described. Pippi is now her favorite character. Why would anyone change this?!?!?
Okay, I know I’m really going off about this and it is just a children’s book. But it scares me. It makes me think that within a few more generations we won’t have a true representation of our country’s history and of course it starts with the kids. And our kids in general are already not a smart as past generations. Why would you change the language to keep them from learning and stretching their minds?
Anyway, if you love Pippi like we do, be sure to grab an old version if you can.
Mama Said
How We Found Out Our Son Had Cancer...Again
6 years ago


4 comments:
Oh, this is a great suggestion! I hadn't even thought about Pippi for my daughter -- how fun! I am definitely going to search for the original! Thanks for your kind words on my blog!!
Good grief...I had no idea someone had rewritten Pippi! Kind of ironic, isn't it? All we hear is how bad American children do on achievement tests, and they want to "dumb down" all the books they read. Uh...you'd think they would get a clue!
Did you tell BFG what "cannibal" meant? I'm afraid Prince would have nightmares if I told him what it was! You know how he is....
No, I thought 4 was too young to explain cannibals to. We've just gotten past a recent nightmare phase that I didn't want to resurrect. I did read the word outloud and I laughed outloud and BFG was saying "what? what, mama?" and I can't remember exactly what I told her. Oh, wait. Maybe I did tell her. Aaaagh! I can't remember. I think maybe I did tell her and laughed it off by saying Pippi is so crazy talking about that, people don't eat people, or something like that. Hmmm . . . crap. I don't know. Oh, well. If I don't remember, surely she doesn't either.
I don't think you were "going off" unreasonably!! It is a very scary thing that history is being rewritten, it happens in the school textbooks more than most people know! I am glad you are seeing the importance of keeping the old "classics" alive. I agree whole heartedly!
Post a Comment