Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Oh. Him too? Are you sure, God?

I've got a little Bible lesson for you that God pulled on me the other day.

I'll give ya' a little background info first:
I have been in a really grumpy mood the past couple of weeks. I don't know what my problem is other than a bunch of miscellaneous stuff that jumbles together and makes for a dark mood. When I get like this, I get very whiny, naggy, and just plain ol' ill with everyone. I feel undervalued, underappreciated, and overworked. And any little thing Rhett says to me, I jump on him and accuse him of picking on me and not treating me right, etc. It's really ridiculous and embarrassing. But in the moment, I feel totally justified 'cause I convince myself he's acting terrible. (Ya'll, please tell me I'm not the only one who ever does this! Yes, now. Tell me, please! Just yell it at the screen. I'll feel ya'!)

Okay, so ya'll know how I try to write in my prayer journal every weekday morning and read at least a chapter in the Bible. Well, the other day I was reading in 1 Peter and had gotten through like a chapter and a half when BFG had a dire emergency I just had to take care of. So, I decided to stop my reading there for the day and go change Barbie's dress or whatever it was.

So, the next day I picked up in the middle of that chapter and read:

1 Peter 2:18-25 which is about how slaves should submit to their masters and included
v 23 "when reviled, He did not revile in return;
when suffering, He did not threaten" (well, there's a little more but that's what stuck out to me)
I just read that over and over and thought "wow, Jesus was so cool and this is how we should be, yada yada."

Then, I continue on to 1 Peter 3 which starts with "wives, in the same way, submit yourselves to your own husbands . . ."
Now, I know this verse. I've read it plenty of times. But I've always read it separate. I've never put it with the preceding chapter. I've just always read the descriptive part after "wives, in the same way, submit yourselves to your own husbands." This time when I read it, my stomach just dropped. What?!? My husband, too? If I feel like he's picking on me or if he's not fulfilling his role to the utmost, I can't revile in return? Dang! The Lord worked me over on this one. And the Lord planned it so well where I still had that second half of chapter 2 to read which continued on to the wives and husbands chapter. I honestly don't think I would have ever put them together otherwise. And even though 1 Peter 3 basically says the same thing, it has just never hit me the same way as it did that morning.

I don't even know if any of this makes sense. And I want to be clear that Rhett treats me very well. He is not abusive or anything like that. Just annoying sometimes just like anyone you live with. And it's mostly my problem 'cause he'll act the same but my reactions change with my moodiness. Anyway, the point the Lord humbled me with is that it's not just everyone else we're called to be nice to---the Bible's teachings apply to our spouses too and it would be a good idea to start with your family first.

Mama Said

3 comments:

Growing Hearts said...

You are so funny!! Your "Not Me Mondays" help me feel like I'm not the only one who's not the perfect mom, like I read about on other blogs. :)

Melissa said...

I love 1 Peter 3:4 which says that "the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit is of GREAT WORTH in God's sight"... Referring to the wife who demonstrates purity and reverence in her life towards her husband.

Like you, I am so often the exact opposite...my spirit is many times not "gently and quiet" towards my husband. "Nagging and critical" may better describe it.

It's a real eye opener though to remember that God (not just our DHs) considers a gentle and quiet spirit of "great worth". A goal I hope to achieve on a more regular basis, myself.

Thanks for sharing this entry!!

Growing Hearts said...

Um, I have NO idea why my above comment showed up here! I typed out a different lovely comment for this post, but it somehow posted the same comment I had made for your NOT Me Monday post! Weird!
You can delete it if you want.

Anyway what I REALLY said that your post was very thought-provoking. And I had never thought to connect those verses together, either. :)

 

Made by Lena