In Ellen Stoll Walsh's Mouse Shapes, the mice use shapes to build pictures of everyday objects and animals. I thought this would be a great way to introduce tangrams to BFG since tangrams are awesome for building math skills and analytical thinking. So, I punched out a bunch of shapes with my scrapbooking punches and my coluzzle and we went to work.First, I had BFG sort the shapes into a muffin tin (sorting and classifying--more math skills!). Then, I turned to certain pages in the book that I wanted her to copy. It worked out great! Of course, BFG had to add her own artistic flair so I'm not really sure it officially counts as tangrams. Oh, well. Close enough!

The House, Tree, and Sun--
We improvised on the tree 'cause we didn't have the right kind of triangle. But she loved it and added a star on top and presents underneath and topped off her house with a door "knog."
BFG was most excited about making the cat. And right after she glued the ears on, she laughed and said "He looks like a puppy instead 'cause I didn't put the ears going up." Oooh, did we manage to squeeze in spatial relation skills, too?
I'm telling ya'll for anyone who feels any guilt about not sending your child to preschool, preschool is so not necessary. I just taught 4 preschool objectives in one simple craft. And this is the kind of stuff I learned in college to do. Common sense and a little time with your preschooler teaches her all she needs to know. The only difference in a mom and a certified preschool teacher is that the teacher has learned to call basic skills by fancy names. Remember, no one knows your child better than you do!
Okay, off my soap box now! Go check out other ideas at Sandy's!
Mama Said




9 comments:
I LOVE Mouse Paint, but didn't know they had a Mouse Shapes! I'm going to the Library tomorrow for it! Thanks.
too cute! Great job.
I love your idea! thaks
This is such a great idea! athanks so much for sharing it :)
Love it! I am going to do this in my Kindergarten classroom. We also have a mouse for a pet - perfect!
I love this!!! Thanks for sharing
came over here from crafty crow...this is cute. I just started a site for kids and parents http://rhymesandmore.blogspot.com. Do check out and give your valuable comments. If you like, please add to your list of sites you visit.
A wonderful idea, thanks for sharing! :)
I'm a preschool teacher and I think your attitude STINKS! I agree that parents know their children best, but there are many good reasons that parents send their children to preschool.
Post a Comment