I remember when the Internet was text only. That was fun. And think about how long we waited for a page to download just to see that neon green text? And remember those old big floppy disks or even the small hard ones for that matter? My current computer doesn’t even have a spot for those and I just realized I’ve saved all kinds of stuff from my past on them. Whoops!
And, honestly, for most of us, can you even remember the last time you answered the phone and didn’t know who would be on the other end? Praise the Lord for Caller ID! I’ve even had a phone with audio caller id for the past year or so. I don’t even have to look at the phone to know who it is! Or what about—when was the last time you talked on a corded phone and were stuck in one spot? I never do anymore unless I’m just answering it real quick ‘cause I can’t find the cordless and I tell them I'll call them back on the cordless!
Think about how it will be for our kids. With DVR’s and stuff, there will come a time when our kids will be saying that they can’t remember the last time they watched a commercial. Or read a real-paper newspaper.
It’s pretty wild when you think about it. And what started me on this was hearing an old Garth Brooks song on the radio the other day and realizing how irrelevant it was to today.
Think about it. You remember that song “What She’s Doing Now?” Well, remember that part where Garth sings “Just for laughs, I dialed her old number. But no one knew her name.” I just thought: Oh my goodness! I feel so old! No one would even do that now. You wouldn’t need too. From 1992 til now, that song has become irrelevant.
Just play along with me and think about how it would be written today, 17 years later:
Just for laughs, I googled her name.
And saw her Facebook page.
As I click, I see right in front of me—what she’s doing now.
I don’t know why but I just think that is so hilarious! Or maybe I’m giggling as my defense mechanism against feeling twiddle-aged!
It is weird when you think about how easy it is to find someone now. I guess there’s not a lot of mystery left in our high-tech world.
Mama Said


4 comments:
Great Post! I remember when I went to college in 96. I didn't know what email or what the internet was? I felt so dumb. I went to a really small rural high school. Talk about how fast things have changed with Technologies.
I remember having to do computer commands with DOS prompts. c:RUN...or something like that. LOL!!
I was flipping channels last night and stopped on a Fresh Price of Bel Aire episode where he said something about "getting a page". Pagers...talk about obsolete.
DH had a pager once. We paid $8/month for service. Ahhh...the good old days. If only our cell service were so cheap.
Here's to being Twiddle Aged!
Love, mel
Another funny post! It's so true...there's so much our kids won't ever know about that we had to deal with. I love your new verse to the song! :) It's true, too.
DH still has a pager for work...we hate the darn thing. But I guess it's better than a ringing cell phone all the time. LOL!
ROFL! I totally forgot about pagers! I had one for a while. I somehow ended up with someone's hand-me-down one and I remember having to go pay my pager bill, too. Who knows where I got the money since my allowance was only $5.00/week. It didn't last long. LOL! I know people have them for work, but for the average person--having a pager seems so ridiculous now, but seemed so cool and useful then.
Lara, I'm glad you overcame your techno-inadequate past! Your blog is living proof! Your comment made me think about how many people are still out there that don't have a tech knowledge. Rhett's great-aunt and grandmother (both in their 80's) got computers within the past couple of years so they could get in on the e-mail everyone talked about. I hope I'm like that when I'm old and grey. It's really sweet to read Grandmother's e-mails. They are written so formally. And she always scared she's going mess something up.
Post a Comment