Monday, April 21, 2008

Sunday Mornings

Man, Sunday mornings are just terrible for me. I'm wondering, am I the only one? It starts off with me getting up just about 15 minutes too late and then I probably spend just a little too long in the bathtub. (But, hey, if I had a shower, maybe I could speed that up a bit. Ha!) Then, it falls apart from there. Rhett is trying to get BFG ready and she's basically screaming for me. This has been going on since she was about 3 months old. I just do not understand why I can give her a bath and get her dressed with her being all smiles and when Rhett does it, she screams bloody murder. Then, I get mad and start screaming, I just don't understand why you can't just one time get her ready without making her cry!!!!! Then, as he gets her ready, I have to keep stopping my getting ready process to answer questions or go get something because for whatever reason, I am the only person on the planet who knows where anything is in this house although the stuff is in the same place as always. Then, I'm screaming, can ya'll just leave me alone for five minutes? After Rhett gets BFG dressed, he sees we are going to be late and is mad and he sits down in the recliner, which totally peeves me because can't he be up doing something to make this process move along like fix BFG's cup and what not? So, every Sunday I yell at him to do something. Then, I somehow get my five minutes and I'm just about ready and eyeing the clock know we have about two minutes before we have to walk out the door and I start feeling pretty pleased, a little lipstick and squirt of perfume, turn to leave and BAM! I see BFG and remember I have to fix her hair. Somehow, I always forget that I have to do this task on Sundays and I sometimes have to redress her because Rhett still hasn't learned that the buttons on dresses usually go in the back and he still hasn't mastered putting on fancy socks. So, then it's a mad dash to brush BFG's hair and get us out the door and to church late as usual. The whole drive to church I'm saying I'm sorry to Rhett and go into a whole pity party thing of how I'm just such a terrible wife. See, Rhett was always at least 15 minutes early to everything before he met me. Now, we are 15 minutes late to everything and I know he hates it so much.

The thing is I really am being a bad wife and mother. It is ridiculous to put my family through this every Sunday. And, yes, I 've read all that stuff about how if you're yelling at your family getting ready for church then you are negating the point of going and may as well not go. This makes me feel more guilty about it although I think it's a little extreme. I mean, come on, I can't get any benefit out of going? That's a little silly. Anyway, I've just been getting a little disgusted with myself lately and how chaotic and disorganized my household is. I want it to be so, so different. I've really got to do something. I'm not sure where to start though. Any ideas? I think one thing would be to start getting up earlier on a daily basis and to quit staying up until 11:00 or 11:30 every night.

Gotta hit the laundry, girls.
Mama Said

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Welcome to my Sunday morning routine! Believe it or not, that sounds vaguely familiar to a number of Sunday's that we've had. I'm up early but by the time I drink coffee, get DS up, pick clothes from the mound of laundry and iron them, wake up DH, assign him "duties" to do while I shower such as fix DS breakfast, facilitate DS dressing, then I call DS in to brush teeth & hair, allow enough hot water for DH to shower, and then end up having to fix my hair and makeup in a steamy overly-humid bathroom, in which case my hair "flips out" but not in a good way, double check that everyone is dressed appropriate wearing black socks and not white socks with dress pants, recommending that DH might want to iron his pants because it looks like he slept in them, waiting for someone to catch the dog and lure him into his house, grab a to-go cup of coffee and maybe a banana to eat on the way to church, and then rush everyone to the car in a foul mood and then DH says, "well you could have gotten up earlier", and then I just want to choke him. So, we hurry to church so we can "praise the Lord and worship". Hmmm...something tells me Satan has a hand in all of this Sunday morning chaos. How to overcome? Not sure. Let me know if you find the answer to this mystery! LOL!!

Love, Mel

Growing Hearts said...

It's like this at my house, too. Except DH is usually preparing for his sermon that morning. (sigh) It feels wrong to interrupt his prayer time or practice time with, "DH, can you not just SOMETHING to help me out??!!!" I do end up making little jabs like, "Well, DS, we are running late because I have to get EVERYONE ready, including myself!" Wrong of me, I know. I keep telling myself to take time on Saturday night to get everything ready: clothing picked out, ironed, set the alarm clock (I'm really bad about thinking that God will just wake me up at the right time. LOL!, figure out what we are going to eat for breakfast. If I would just do that, I truly believe that things would go a lot smoother Sunday mornings.

 

Made by Lena