I went to the local grocery outlet the other day. It gave me a little dose of reality. Every few weeks or so, I get fed up with the time coupons take and start fantasizing that I could really get food cheaper by going to Aldi and the grocery outlet. I really needed some bread so I stopped by there and was shocked at the prices. After doing coupons for a year or so, the grocery outlet was so high! The food was more expensive than what I have been paying lately and you have to be aware of expiration dates. It's funny 'cause I remember before coupons when I first started going to the grocery outlet, I was bowled over at how cheap it was. Now, their bread is the cheapest. You can get fresh Pepperidge Farm bread for 89 cents a loaf in all the yummy flavors. So, I stocked up on bread and bagels to freeze. And I did find Dixie Crystals sugar for $1.69 which was okay. The best thing I found was Goody hair do-dads for 50 cents each. I loaded up on bows, barrettes, headbands, etc. and an awesome Goody antistatic brush for $1.00! It was worth going even if I did feel a little conspicuous with my Vera Bradley purse and Oakley sunglasses. I wanted to run around the store saying this purse was a birthday gift and I got these sunglasses at a yard sale for $3.00. I'm not rich, I promise. But I withheld and I didn't get mugged. So, all is well. And, really, I am very blessed and rich compared to the average patron of that store. I'm not saying that to be snobby, just truthful. I act like we are poor but in reality, we have so, so much more than others.
Last night, BFG and I were on our way home from town and were listening to one of her Cedarmont kids tapes (the blue one). If you have these tapes and a young child, you know exactly what I'm talking about. She's hit this stage where she is getting really good at memorizing the songs and singing along with them. So, she's singing "I Have Decided to Follow Jesus" including the refrain "No turning back, no turning back." BFG says, "Mama, why does Jesus turn us bad?" Whoa! Obviously, either me or the Cedarmont kids are not enunciating well. I tried to explain, but from now on we are singing it "No turning back-k-k-k-k. No turning back-k-k-k-k."
Mama Said-d-d-d-d
How We Found Out Our Son Had Cancer...Again
6 years ago


1 comment:
Oh my goodness...we are on the same brain wave length on this topic. I was just there yesterday and lamenting the same thing about "how high their prices were". When I started shopping there a while back, I too thought I'd hit the jackpot with how "cheap" everything was. Now, it's all "too much" for my tastes based on what I know of couponing. Same for Aldi...although they usually have the best average price on frozen chicken (whole & boneless). I agree, the outlet has the best prices on bread. I even compared it to the day-old bakery nearby and no comparison. Their fruit is also a good buy. They've beat everyone recently on apples, bananas and some veggies...although you have to watch the freshness. Not on my weekly stop, but definitely worthy of stocking up on bread.
Love, Mel
Post a Comment