
Her Cup Overfloweth had a theme this week of Food Your Children are Thankful For. I had already been planning on doing this turkey for a while, but I can assure you--BFG is definitely thankful for all the "ingredients" used to make her Turkey Treat. On the plate--Oatmeal Cream Pie. In the tin--pretzels, vanilla wafers, candy corn, icing, mini chocolate chips, and Swedish fish candy.
This is super easy to do and you probably have most of the ingredients already or something that would work even better. For the icing, I used store-bought, put a few tablespoons in a ziplock sandwich bag, squeezed it all down to one corner, and made the tiniest of snips to make a small hole in the bag. Voila! Instant decorating icing!
I did this project with BFG (age 3 yrs, 11 mos) and her two cousins, Curly Sue (age 7) and Boy Wonder (age 8 yrs 9 mos). All three of them loved this project!!! Now, I kindly showed them how I had seen it done with an oatmeal cream pie body, nilla wafer head, candy corn beak, choc. chip eye, pretzel feet, and Swedish fish tail tail feathers. Luckily, they just poo-pooed my ideas and came up with their own! Curly Sue even thought of using a Swedish fish for the waddle!!! They were so into it! They even had last words with their turkeys--giving the turkeys one last chance to say something before they gobbled them up. They were so funny I had to get out the video camera and have them redo it. Check out their cool creations below.
BFG's Tri-Eyed Turkey Minus Feet
(uh, they got eaten too fast)

Boy Wonder's Basted With Icing Turkey

WARNING: I still had over half a can of icing left at the end of this project. I read on the label that it could be refrigerated and used up to 30 days later. Wow! I thought, We'll definitely be making some cookies in December. Folks, do NOT be fooled by this label. A can of cold frosting sitting in the fridge is apparently the ultimate temptation. If you take one little taste, it's over. And, please, please don't dip the pretzels in it. You'll never forgive yourself over how fast you inhale it. Needless to say, the frosting was almost all gone a few hours later and my taste buds are all sore from relishing every cold, gloppy, smooth dollop of it.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Mama Said



2 comments:
I don't know what's more cute, the idea of making "turkey cookies" with a muffin tin or the madness that ensued! SO awesome!
Wow, what a neat idea! Sounds so yummy.
Post a Comment