I fixed one of my all-time favorite meals: tea (and by that I mean sweet tea for all you Yankees out there; for a true Southerner, it's a given that tea is sweet), boiled cabbage (yes, fixed with meat grease-the best way to have it), cornbread sticks (fixed in the cast iron pan that looks like little ears of corn), pinto beans, hominy, and boiled potatoes. Now, if I was a good Southern girl, I would've added turnip greens. But I don't like them so I guess I'm not perfect after all. LOL!This meal is the meal I crave if I haven't had it in awhile. Like coming back from vacation where you've eaten out or eaten seafood all week, this is the first thing I want to eat. This is the meal that our second cousins who's father moved them off to Ohio as children (Lord only knows why) can't wait to have when they come back to visit. This meal is everyday Southern, not fancy Paula Deen Southern. Real food, back to your roots food. You could take away my Italian food, you could take away my Mexican food, you could even take away my seafood, but don't take away my Southern food!
The fun thing about serving one of our common meals in the muffin tin was that BFG tried every single thing like she'd never seen it before. She still spit some of it out, but she tried it!
Mama Said


1 comment:
Sweet Tea is the BEST! I am a Californian and worked at a ranch in colorado when I was in my 20's. Fofty percent of the staff came from the South, so Sweet Tea was always on hand. So Yummy! I remember my friend teaching me how to make it (apparenlty there is an art to the sugar/water/tea ratio....I gasped when she put in 3 CUPS of SUGAR!!! I still love it!
Well done on the tin, it makes me want to try all those foods, I have never had hominy before!
Post a Comment