Thursday, February 11, 2010

Where Everybody Knows Your Name!

For us, it's not the local bar that knows us by name. It's our local Publix. Well, they at least know our faces anyway. It's a bit embarrassing at times like when you know that they know you're just a sample snitch and you're never going to actually buy the product you're sampling. Ever.

Or when you drag your whole family in the store to buy Superbowl snack ingredients and flowers for the dance recital the next day.

I really shouldn't be embarrassed. I mean, it only took me 30 minutes at the flower cooler to pick something out. And it's not like Rhett was doing figure 8's with the buggy while BFG was running wild. And all I did was keep screaming at her to stay close to us so we could see her. That's what any good mom would do, right? And it's not really that big of deal that there was this little old man Publix employee standing by the flowers who gave her a balloon. And, so what if they didn't have any already blown up and he blew it up especially for her? And it is SO trivial that when he tied it to her arm, he told her now I'd be able to see her when she ran off. Okay. Hint taken.

And should we really be embarrassed that I was trying to be cheap with the flowers? I was trying to buy for BFG, my niece, and for each BFG and my niece to give to their teacher. I really thought buying one bouquet of roses and splitting it up was the perfect idea (after 30 minutes of standing in front of the cooler convincing myself). Really, who would have thought about the thorns? Anyone could have made that mistake.

And who knew that the same old man would be there when Rhett had to go back to Publix the next day while we were at rehearsal? The old man remembered Rhett and said, "What happened? The roses didn't work out for you?" Rhett said, "No, they didn't." and handed him a detailed list I'd written out on what to buy. Praise the Lord for that old man! He understood my list perfectly!

And really, should we even care what the old man thought of us when Rhett had to run in Publix again the next day to buy the shredded cheese I'd forgotten on the first day? Yeah, he was there and yup, he saw Rhett.

The weird thing was that when I went back on the fourth day in a row, the old man was completely gone! It was like a Twilight Zone episode or something. Or maybe he actually took a day OFF from Publix unlike us.

I think it might classify as a Publix addiction when you go 4 days in a row especially when the nearest Publix is 15 miles away.

Planning my next trip,
Mama Said

No comments:

 

Made by Lena