Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Do I Even Know Rhett?

After 6 and a half years of marriage, I am realizing how little I know about Rhett. This is a little upsetting especially since I'm always accusing him of never paying attention to my wants and needs. But over the past few weeks, it seems . . . uh-hem . . . I've been the one overlooking him all these years.

For example, few weeks ago we had hot dogs and I fixed Rhett's plate. He came over to get it and kind of chuckled.
Me: What is it?
Rhett: It's nothing.
Me: No, really, what is it? You better tell me!!!
Rhett: Well, I was just laughing because I guess you forgot that I don't ever eat ketchup.
Me: What? You don't eat ketchup!!!
Okay, so I vaguely knew he didn't eat it on fries, but I never knew he didn't eat it on anything! Boy, he sure has hidden that well.

Then, I bought some chocolate chip mint ice cream, one of my faves from my childhood. And I thought from his childhood, too.
Me: Guess what!!! I got chocolate chip mint ice cream! I can't wait to eat it!
Rhett: Hmm . . .
Me: What?
Rhett: Nothing, I just don't like mint stuff.
Whoops!

Finally, last night at Publix, BFG and I picked out 3 gallons of Blue Bell ice cream because it was on sale. We picked Key Lime Pie flavor for Rhett because I do know Key Lime pie is his favorite dessert. We get home and BFG runs to Rhett to tell him.
BFG: Daddy, Daddy! We got your favorite ice cream for you!
Rhett: Really? You got Rocky Road?
Me: What!?!?! Rocky Road? Since when have you liked Rocky Road, I thought vanilla was your favorite!
Rhett: I like vanilla, but Rocky Road has always been my favorite.
Are you kidding me? Seriously. I have never seen the boy eat Rocky Road ice cream. Ever!

So, now I'm left wondering, do I even know my husband? Isn't that rather self-absorbed of me to have never noticed these details about him or even asked him his favorite ice cream flavor? Or maybe I should look at in an exciting way like Look at all there is to still discover about him after 6 and a half years! No telling what I'll find out when we're 70!

The admirable thing is that he has never once complained about any of this. Never said anything. Never even asked for some dad-gum Rocky Road ice cream. If it was the other way around, I would be screaming, pouting, crying and just plain devastated that he didn't know me. It is amazing how different we are emotionally. Um . . . okay maybe I need to work on my end a little bit.

Mama Said

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is too funny! I did the same thing with my husband for years too. I always bought Cool Ranch Doritos and red Gatorade just for HIM, and politely one day he told me he hated them both! I just knew they were his favorite?! Oh well...atleast we're trying..huh? Hang in there--you're a great wife!

Love ya,
Casi

 

Made by Lena