Monday, June 16, 2008

Muffin Tin Monday & Not-So-Beautiful Imperfect Cookie Baking


(***Note: My original Imperfectly Beautiful post is below this one.)
Muffin Tin Monday: Peanut Butter Theme
I tried to do a peanut butter theme today (food that is yummy dipped in peanut butter). It only accounts for half the food, but it was fun. I'm one of those people who gets more creative with specified parameters. But be careful if you have really young kids 'cause peanut butter is a choking hazard.
Don't forget to check out
http://sycamorestirrings.blogspot.com/ who created this Muffin Tin Monday idea!
Here's what's in mine from the top, left to right:
guacamole Pringles, salami, Ritz crackers, peanut butter, cheese cubes, chow mien noodles, pretzels, apples, mandarin oranges, pecans, marshmallows, and chocolate chips.
It is seriously amazing the new stuff BFG is willing to try and how much she eats just by putting it in the muffin tin. And I promise that she actually eats more healthy foods by having the sweets there are an option too. Weird.

So, after our Muffin Tin lunch, I had promised we would make cookies. I had this Crayola kit for Cinnabear Cookies or something I'd gotten on clearance at Target after Christmas. She'd only been waiting for 6 months to do this, so I thought Why not today? Big mistake! We went from oh-I'm-so-ahead-on-my-SHE-cards-this-will-be-so-much-fun to a flour covered Twilight Zone in less than five minutes. I kid you not. So much stuff went wrong making these cookies I thought it was 9:00 pm on Christmas Eve.
First of all, if you have this kit, throw it away. It was absolutely awful! I had to add a little bit more water to the dough because it wasn't mixing at all. So, then I'm supposed to knead the dough for 2 minutes. Well, it was a sticky, drippy, globby mess. If you know me, you know how much I hate sticky messes. My hands are covered in this mess so I manage to use my elbows or something to get out my canister of flour. I get it open and instruct BFG to put flour in my hands. But, ya'll, it did not work. It was still sticky, goopy, drippy. Well, while I am running around the kitchen screaming, "This is so GROSS!" trying to get to the sink and dripping gobs of it on the floor in the process, BFG makes it "snow" in our kitchen with the flour. Isn't that fun? I am so absorbed with the blob I don't even notice until a few minutes later as I'm finally washing the rest of the dough down the drain. So, she managed to spread her snowfall all over the kitchen and dining room floor. Well, now I'm panicking a little 'cause I promised her cookies, naptime is getting closer and closer, and the floor is covered in flour. Luckily, I had a sugar cookie Betty Crocker mix and I decided to make it by the roll-out cookie recipe because BFG had already gotten down every jar of sprinkles she could find. I wasn't gonna get out of this without doing real frosted sugar cookies. I also decided that this was a perfect time to set a good example for BFG on how to react positively when things go wrong. I paste a smile on my face and fix a sing-song tune in my voice.
Well, I just want someone to tell me how many tablespoons of butter is 1/3 cup? It wasn't on my wrapper and 3 doesn't go into 8 well and then I realized 8 Tbsp is just 1/2 half cup and by that point I was so distracted trying to figure it out that I cut myself on the box for the butter. By the time I cleaned and bandaged up my bleeding finger, I decided surely it couldn't make that much difference and just lobbed off some butter. I think it did though 'cause our dough was a little sticky and the cut-out shapes had a really hard time coming up off the mat. I was about to snap. After 12 bears, I was done and just slammed some balls of dough down as I slid across the flour-filled floor. Teddy bears play with balls, right?
The cookies finally finished baking. I had hurriedly scoured the kitchen while they baked. I had patiently answered "No, dear, they aren't ready yet and I still have to make the icing" oh about 473 times. I pull out the last baking sheet of our sweet teddy bear cookies and unbelievably, I grab on end of the cookie sheet with my finger and thumb. I scream at the top of my lungs, "I am the BIGGEST IDIOT EVER!" So much for the good example. But I did have several moments of hysterical laughing as I ran my fingers under water. It was just all a little too much. So, maybe I taught her the old "you can either laugh or cry" adage. The good news is only my finger has the imprint of the edge of the cookie sheet on it. My thumb was spared so I can fix dinner tonight with just two band-aids on one hand instead of three.

Mama Said
P.S. The cookies were delicious and BFG had so much fun decorating. In fact, throughout the entire project she was singing a made-up song about zippa-de-do-dah she loves Jesus. Maybe I should be learning from her example.

7 comments:

Growing Hearts said...

ROTFL!!! Guess I'll be throwing my cookie mix away then!

Do you think 8- year olds would go for the Muffin Tin lunches?? I can just see my DS give me *that look* and say, "uh, are all of the plates dirty or something?"

Finding Normal said...

Came here for your Imperfectly Beautiful post via Nester, but I LOVE this muffin tin idea, and my 3 year old will be thrilled with it! Wahoo, I love a cool thing!

katy said...

thanks so much for playing! glad it was a success with your little one. Salami is a good idea, both of my kids like it.

I seriously *wish* my girls would eat peanut butter - it would open up lots of lunch varieties. My little one went through a period of eating toast with peanut butter every morning, but now she won't touch the stuff. toddlers are so fickle. sigh.

Hope to see you next week!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, you have completely re-inspired me to start over with the S.H.E. cards! I found the book at the library quite awhile back and loved the idea, but as life seems to always go (hubbie out of town, 1yr. old clinging to me, etc.) I lost my drive and had completely forgotten all about that little file box until NOW! I'll be going to the library very soon and picking up that book again! Thanks for the reminder! God must be sending me a little message to clean house! :)

Mama Said said...

Growing Hearts,
Yes! I totally think an 8 yr old would go for it! You would just have to approach it differently like "I heard about this cool way to prepare a meal and kids can do it themselves like a real chef!" I would let him fix the meal as much as possible. I love the challenge of thinking up food items that will go in there. I'm sure he would too. Plus, you could make it a lesson in the Food Guide Pyramid and challenge him to use all the food groups, which could even be a math lesson ("if we need the most servings of this, how many cups should be grains or whatever?"). OR you could do lessons in cuisine of other countries or origins of our own foods. "Let's fill the cups with foods only from Italy!" Hope you try it! Have fun!

Mama Said said...

Alicia,
I feel honored that I inspired you! Thank you. Keep checking back 'cause I'm planning on posting more updates as I go along. My biggest tip for you is go slow and don't give up! I can't believe how much smoother things are then just a few weeks ago.
Mama Said

Lora @ my blessed life said...

Hi there! I dropped by to see your *imperfect beauty* and found your muffin tin meal. What a cute idea! Some days my 3-yr-old & 5-yr-old drive me crazy at meal times. I think I'll have to try this!

 

Made by Lena