As ya'll know, I started the Sidetracked Home Executive method of managing my household a while back. The system basically is using 3.5X5 index cards and dividers in a file box to keep you on track for daily, weekly, monthly, and seasonal tasks. I've been meaning to post an update on how it's going. Today, my friend e-mailed me with questions about it and I told her I would address it here.
So, how is it working for you? In some ways, I think it's working great! I really like having what needs to be done organized. But I am working so hard that it seems I never get to rest. And that's with just the daily and weekly cards. I haven't even added in the monthly and seasonally yet. But, keep in mind, that I am also in the middle of home renovation while I am trying to start this. So, I'm trying to do major home projects while completing the cards. I have decided that there is no point in adding the monthly and seasonally until we are further along on the house. It would be ridiculous for me to be running around cleaning baseboards and light switches when I should be painting or unpacking boxes.
Do you think you accomplish more than you did before? I definitely am accomplishing more than before. I am actually able to pay our bills and pay them on time with this system! Rhett had to take over bill paying about a year ago because I was so overwhelmed that I could not get them paid on time and was in a wild panic on their due dates trying to run all over town or getting the computer to act right. Father's Day gifts were ordered and delivered on time. Library books are back on time. Laundry is done like clockwork. My purse is staying cleaned out. It's good stuff.
Are you more focused on what needs to be done are have you become a "slave" to your cards? On any given week day, I have like 30 cards to complete. That just seems insane to me and there are lots of time I feel like just a slave to my cards. Sometimes I find myself ill with BFG 'cause she won't leave me alone and I feel that I must get my cards done. In the book they tell you to put the frequency of the task that you want it to get done, not what you are doing now. I think I did that and now it's just impractical. Like I want to sweep the kitchen and dining area every day and have a daily card for it. But I have not done it one time. I am so exhausted by the time dinner is over that there is no way I'm sweeping. I refile it every day until I hit my vacuum day. Then, it doesn't matter. Or if someone is coming to visit, I run the electric sweeper real quick. I just think it's stupid to look at that sweep card all day every day and feel bad about something I am NOT going to get done. At least not yet.
I do think that it is a long process to get this system in place. It seems to get a little smoother and smoother each week. Hopefully, as time passes, I will be able to get the cards completed more efficiently. I have noticed changes, such as I'm starting to memorize the daily tasks and am developing routines that knock out several in 5-10 minutes. Also, I'm picking up more as I go 'cause I know if I don't, I'll be doing it with a card later anyway. One big thing I am realizing is that it is not good to let the house go during the weekend. I spend so much time on Mondays getting things back in order after a messy weekend.
Do you like the card format or do you prefer working from a list? I love the cards over a list!!! I think it is so much better. I really like the whole idea of the file box. I love completing a weekly task and chucking it to the next week and knowing that my brain is free from thinking of that task and I won't forget it the next go around either. I don't know if that really makes sense. I can't really describe it. I guess it just works for me.
Overall here's the thing: I do not like to clean house and this system has you doing 6-10 hours of moderate to hard cleaning per week. It just makes me mad to think about that and my poor feet really can't take that much. But, the thing is the authors are being very realistic. It really takes that long to keep your house clean. I guess I just wish there was some little super-duper formula where my house could be sparkling clean and organized with very little time and effort. Oh, well. At least I'm blessed that this does get to be my full-time job. I can't imagine working, having children, and taking care of the home.
I am reading Kathy Peel's Desperate Households and it's pretty interesting and a different approach based on what I've read so far. I'm gonna post my findings from that soon.
I'll also try to post my weekly schedule from SHE soon, too.
Thanks for asking,
Mama Said
How We Found Out Our Son Had Cancer...Again
6 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment