Sometimes I wonder why I even try to sleep. I outta just stay up all night and get stuff done. But, alas, every night I try and try again to sleep. Every single night I have to get up to use the restroom at least once. Some nights, it's 2 or 3 times. Crazy, isn't it? I think I need some of that "I gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now" medicine. Last night, I was up and down for hours running to the restroom 'cause of my irritable bowel syndrome. But I try not to complain about that 'cause I feel blessed that is all I have wrong with me after my crazy ordeal last year (which I'll explain in an upcoming post in July).
But the night before last, the reasons I didn't sleep were just ridiculous! I know I can't be the only mama out there that goes through this kind of stuff. Here's a run down of my night:
11:00ish--Went to sleep
1:30--Eyes fly open, wide awake with the realization that I did not pay our storage units this month. (Thanks, Lord, for letting me realize this!) Of course, I just couldn't believe that I had completely forgotten this for 2 weeks. So, I leap out of bed and double check my checkbook. Nope, nada. I had not paid. Resolved to go the next day and apologize profusely and pay. But I lay there thinking about how they had no way to contact us because I procured the units before we moved. All the wrong stuff was on our file. So, I tried to sleep with visions of 2/3 of all our material possessions be pilfered through and sold. Finally drifted off.
3:00--Rhett had to get up and leave for work to teach a training to 2nd shift. I don't know what happened to the boy, but he was SO loud getting dressed. The armoire doors kept slamming. Aaagh! I was not happy. I mumbled "What's your problem?" and drifted back off.
3:10--Rhett is still here?!?! He's pilfering through his little pile on the dresser. He flings open his wallet and is pulling out all the cards and such in there. Clearly even in my daze, I knew he had lost something. I ask and he's lost his ID badge to get in his work building. I suggest looking in his car. He tromps out and finds it. What would he do without me? I think as a drift off once again.
3:23--My eyes fly open as I realize Rhett is gone and it's pitch black outside and the past two mornings, he has left the door unlocked. Being the paranoid person I am, I had to get up and go check the door. It was locked. I guess my paranoid lecture the night before on the virtues of locking the door had gotten through to him. Aaaah! Time to sleep!
5:45--I hear BFG upstairs banging her drawers in search of something to change into. Apparently, today was Get Dressed As Loud As You Can Day and no one had told me. Of course, why she is waking up early every morning and changing into a nightgown is still a mystery. It's kind of become a problem this week. I asked her why on the first day she did it and she said, "Mama, you know I've been thinking and thinking that I didn't want to wear that shirt anymore." All righty then! I have realized "Hey, wouldn't it be a great idea if I just put her to bed in one of her nightgowns?" But, alas, due to my lack of sleep, I haven't had to energy to follow through on this thought.
5:48--BFG joins me in bed and starts talking and asking questions. This has been a problem this week, too. What is the deal? I'm sorry, BFG, but I didn't really need to know that Old Mr. Guinea Hen got up early this morning. In fact, I can still hear him squawking. I tell her it's too early to talk and to go to sleep. We both drift off. Or so I think.
6:15--BFG wakes me up to tell me she left E-yah upstairs and she needs him. (E-yah is her blankie. And, yes, she can say blankie. E-yah is it's name and has been since she could talk. My niece's blankie is named Mo-unt. So, apparently, they both inherited some freak genetic code.) I trudge up stairs and get E-yah for her. Finally, finally, I think gleefully. I can get some sleep!
7:03--I get up for the day.
So, you see my friend, why bother?
Off to chug-a-lug my coffee,
Mama Said
How We Found Out Our Son Had Cancer...Again
6 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment