I finally did it! I have made the switch to powdered milk! I have been trying to make this switch for a couple of years. Unfortunately, I would usually try it out of desperation (when we were out of milk) and would mix it right in BFG's sippy cup and try to pawn it off on her right away. Even at 18 months old she would say, "Yuck! This milk is stinky! Me no like it!" Now, two years later inspired by my friend's success, I've tried it again and it works!!!! I think the trick is to mix it up the night before and by the next morning there is absolutely no smell! It's just like real milk!
Now, I don't really know how long it's good for. I've started mixing up two quarts on Monday and keeping it in an opaque pitcher with a lid (it's one of those old school Tupperware pitchers with that little button thingy you push and the lid sucks down and seals). BFG was still drinking it at the end of the week with no complaints. But unless I hear otherwise, I wouldn't keep it for longer than a week. BFG is sucking down and has not noticed any difference. And why would she? It tastes exactly like skim milk, which is what we were already drinking!
Anyway, I am so, so happy! I just could not manage to estimate our milk usage since moving out the country. I would buy too much trying to avoid extra trips to town, but would end up throwing out a bunch of milk due to spoilage. This will really cut down on grocery trips and save us alot of gas! Oh, be sure to price check if you want to try this for your family. Alot of stores are trying to take advantage of the supposed poor economy and have raised their prices on economic foods. For example, Aldi's powdered milk has really gone up and was several dollars higher than Kroger's. Buyer beware!
Mama Said
How We Found Out Our Son Had Cancer...Again
6 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment