Okay, I've got a little rant this morning. Oh, wait! It's already afternoon!
Well, my morning started out at about 7:00 with a sweet little yell for me from upstairs. And the ONLY time I hear this little yell is when DD has wet the bed. Yippee. So, I drug myself out of a dream and trudged upstairs to get her, clean her up, and strip the bed. Just the thoughts of dealing with washing all her covers, which takes up my entire day, wore me out so bad, I just dumped her bedding at the end of the stairs and took her back into my bed with me. We both fell back asleep after I laid there an hour or so listening to the chickens trying to fly straight up out of their box. I'm terrified they are going to manage to do this while DH and my BIL are at work. Anyway, we rolled out of bed the second time at about 9:45. Pathetic, I know. And I realized, oh crap! I need to get the roast in the crock pot.
So, let's just talk about a roast. First of all, it takes me a good two weeks or so to remember to thaw it out so I can actually fix it. Then, I guess I have delusions of grandeur that I am going to get up with the sunrise and go Betty Crocker on it and have a perfect, simmering roast that gets to cook on low like the recipe says to showcase to my DH as he walks in the door from work at 4:30. Reality is I always oversleep or get busy and forget that I'm supposed to fix it at all. Then, I remember it about 11:00 or so where I barely, barely have enough time to get it in so it can cook on high and barely make it to being done by 6:00. (Okay, so a few times it's been like 7:30.) In this process, I'm running around, stressed out, screaming at DD "Not now, I've got to get this roast in the crock pot!!!!. Can't you find something to do for 10 minutes?" (If you don't have kids yet, don't worry. You will yell this at your children at some point about something. I promise.) and trying to rush and making a much bigger mess than necessary.
So, here's my rant. (You thought I was done, didn't you?) I want to know how the heck you are supposed to cook without grease popping up and burning you? And not just the roast, but everything. I have never seen anyone on Food Network have grease popping out and never heard them cry out in pain as they are getting burned. Plus, all the recipes are just so calm about it "Brown your meat on all sides in hot oil to sear it." It needs to say, "Cover your kitchen floor with newspapers 'cause your gonna have grease all over it. Put on a biohazard suit, mask included and invest in extra long-handled utensils, and still plan on about 20 minutes worth of clean-up when your done browning your meat." Maybe it's just me. If anyone knows the secret, puh-lease let me know. Because I stand there trying to get all 500 sides of the roast seared by turning it with a meat fork and a spatula, which does not work well at all, let me tell ya' and I'm screaming as the hot grease keeps popping up and burning every exposed part of my body. There just has to be a better way.
Rant #2: Why the heck do you have to add beef bouillon or beef stock to anything beef you cook? This just makes no sense to me. Why wouldn't the beef I'm cooking create beef stock? It's beef and it's cooking in water. Hello? I just can't imagine 100 years ago our ancestors using bouillon cubes or a can of beef stock to cook a roast. There has to be a way to cook it without. Come on.
So, after all that and feeling like a failure as wife and mother, me and DD ate breakfast at 11:50. But don't worry. She hadn't starved. I had already let her eat her big chocolate bunny from Easter earlier, further proving my ineptitude at being a mother. LOL!
Have a good day, y'all!
Mama Said
How We Found Out Our Son Had Cancer...Again
6 years ago


3 comments:
Can I just say that I love hearing about others who have REAL days just like I have. Amen. None of us are the perfect "Betty-Martha-Stewart-Crocker". It's an illusion sold to us by Satan himself. Don't beat your self up on your slow start to your day. I have those ALL the time. Just remember how privledged we are to even have that as an option. LOL!
However, I do have your roast solution:
(1) The initial "brown on all sides" doesn't mean fry it in a lot of oil. If you're getting popped on by the oil, you may have too much in the pan or your heat is too hot. All you need to do is lightly spray your pan (I use my cast iron skillet) with Pam. Turn the heat on med-high and give it time to warm up. You basically want to sear the sides all around so the juices stay inside the roast. It's not an exact science though. If there is a little exposed section, no biggie. I just use a big fork kind of like a handle. Stick it in the middle of the roast and use that to turn it around. I also season the outside of my roast with a little salt, pepper, garlic powder and a little olive oil. Massage that puppy all over to coat well then sear away.
(2) Beef bouillon...yes the roast will make its own juice. The bouillon should just give it more "depth". Instead of bouillon you could also used dried onion soup mix or can(s) of French onion soup. Same effect.
(3) If you're short on time and don't have time to do an all day roast in the crock pot, you can accomplish the same in the oven on a low heat setting. I have a cast iron Dutch oven that I like to use for it. I'm attaching a link to some recipes below for reference and steps. Don’t really pay attention to the ingredients list as much as the cooking time and oven temps.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Awesome-Slow-Cooker-Pot-Roast/Detail.aspx
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Oven-Pot-Roast/Detail.aspx
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cola-Pot-Roast-II/Detail.aspx
Hope it turns out great!
Love ya,
Mel
Mel,
Well, I had kind of wondered about my recipe. My recipe says use a four to six quart pot with 2 tablespoons of oil and it's the traditional one in the red & white Better Homes & Garden cookbook. Wow! The way you descibe it is completely different! Thanks for the tips! BTW, I get popped no matter if oil is involved at all. Does that mean my oil is always too hot?
Thanks,
Mama Said
Yes, I think that means the oil is either too hot or there's too much in the pan or your pan is too shallow to contain it???
But what do I know? I almost flunked out of school you know. ;)
Loveya,
Mel
Post a Comment