Umm . . . did I mention that I've never lived in the country before and now we have 7.5 acres with lots of old barns and outbuildings? Well, I'm getting a dose of country life. Occasionally, something will happen or I have to do something and it hits me that how "farm girl" it is and how unlike me it is to do it. Just small stuff, like vacuuming around the wood pile in my living room floor and planning day-trips to "go to town" for example. Anyway, I just had one of those moments. We are under a wind advisory where we live and a storm is supposed to hit tonight. So, I had a "farm girl" moment of changing the bedding in our baby chicks' house (a cardboard box on our sun porch), going out to the chicken house (a real one) and feeding the guinea hen, and walking around shutting doors on outbuildings and securing them, and shoring up some beams on a lean-to. How country is that? It just blows my mind that I'm officially a country girl. I'm sure some of you are like "get over yourself." But if you know me and know how suburban I am, you are probably laughing your butt off picturing me in this scenario. I know it's giving me a laugh and I want y'all to laugh along with me as I learn the ins and outs of country life.
I'm starting to get a little wary of our baby chicks. They are growing so fast. I can't even hold them like before. When I tried to get them to change their bedding, they pecked at me! Can you believe it? I had to put on rubber gloves to be brave enough to pick them up. (Okay, so I admit. I'm a little scared of them now.) I was so disappointed. I guess it's over. Now, they're chickens, not pets. Wah!
Onto another subject, I am reading GRITS Friends are Forevah by Deborah Ford. It's so cute! (For you Yankees, GRITS is for Girls Raised in the South). I know I'm years behind on getting into GRITS. But, hey, I got the hardback book at a library sale for about 5 or 10 cents. Better late than never! Anyway, I love, love, love her description of different types of friends.
Once-a-Year Friends: You don't see them often, but when you do, it's firecrackers!
How-Y'all-Doing Friends: More than strangers, and less than deep friends. GRITS meet a couple dozen how y'all doing friends everywhere they go, so your man can just hold his horses and wait.
Best Friends: Always ready to share laughter and pain.
Hair-Dye Friends: The only people you really, really trust.
---from GRITS Friends are Forevah by Deborah Ford, c. 2005
Isn't that great? and so true? I love authors that can just pick up on the truths of our lives and present it in a humorous way and make us contemplate on it.
Better run. Baby Farm Girl should up soon!
Mama Said
How We Found Out Our Son Had Cancer...Again
6 years ago


3 comments:
I love your blog! I love the color green you picked!
I've never heard of GRITS...Hmmm..
Our chicks LOVE us!!! I don't know what's wrong with yours. Ha ha!
I too love the new look. Pretty green...but then that's my fav.
Now about those chickens. Stand your ground woman. You show those chickens who's the boss!! Next time they take a peck at you, bring your meat cleaver or a pot of boiling water and ask them if they want a "time out" if you know what I mean. Either that or just flick 'em with your heavy duty rubber-gloved hands.
Just you wait for tick season. That'll really break you in to the country. LOL!!
Lotsa Luv,
Mel the Country-Livin’-Wannabe Suburbanite
Ha, ha Melissa! Too funny.
J. came over and saw how much our chickens LOVE us yesterday!! ;)
Oh, and just wait until you see your first mouse, or evidence of one. Or a snake. Or a lizard in the house. He, he.
Not that I'm saying that I deal with these varmints with class and dignity. No, I run screaming through the house and lock myself up in the bedroom. :)
Post a Comment