Friday, September 25, 2009

Did We Really Just Do This?

Well, yesterday was the day. We actually did IUI for the first time. (For anyone who doesn't know, IUI is artificial insemination.) The whole experience is kind of surreal from making our decision to the actual doing it. I could probably blog for days about all that. But for today, I'll just share the lighter side 'cause my hormones are so whacked out I really can't handle getting emotional.

However, I will ask for prayer that God's will be done in this situation and that whatever the outcome is that it glorifies Him. No matter how much we want another child, we want to fulfill His plan for us even more.

Man, I just got really tickled during the whole process yesterday. I mean, seriously, I was being artificially inseminated! That is just a riot to me! I never ever in a million years would have thought I would be doing that. I'm young enough that I've heard about it all my life. Heard jokes, seen movies, yada yada. But for me to actually be doing it was so weird. And it's so weird thinking okay, Rhett and I just "did it" without doing it if ya' know what I mean. We could possibly have a baby via nurses and syringes. That is whacked out!

The other highlight of the day was when I lost Rhett. Yup, totally lost him on the way to the doctor's. This was a little catastrophic in our world 'cause I couldn't do it without him--nurses and syringes or not. We have to go to a clinic in the nearby Big City. We drove separate so Rhett could go back to work after his part. (I had to wait over an hour for them to prepare his part.) Rhett had no idea where we were going because I always drive us in the Big City. So, Rhett followed me. For awhile.

Yup, totally lost him on the interstate. I noticed he kept lagging behind, but he was so far behind we couldn't both get in the slow lane either. Since he didn't catch up, I just thought well, he must be able to see me and I kept on going. When we get to the exit, I think he's behind me but he gets off on the exit right before! I am frantic! The lab was closing early yesterday and we had limited time to get this done. Plus, Rhett is one of those weird people left in the world that does not have a cell phone. I go racing around downtown Big City trying to find him. I can't. So, I call my brother-in-law who works downtown and tell him the problem. He jumps in his truck and starts circling downtown looking for Rhett. Meanwhile, I go and tell the doctor's office that I've lost my husband. Then, I go stand out on the sidewalk hoping he'll drive by and see me.

Well, my BIL and I totally wasted our time because Rhett was not behind me when I exited off. Oh, no. He had gotten on a totally different interstate when it split several miles back. Apparently, Rhett could not drive over 60 mph or his tires started getting all wobbly. Sure wish he'd told me that before he was supposed to follow me on a 70 mph interstate.

But Rhett, being the superhero he is, made it to downtown, found a random hospital, and started asking where the fertility clinic was. Of course, no one knew and each person had to ask someone else. But finally, someone got him the name of the building and the address. Then, he stood on the top level of a parking garage and pointed to the building he needed to be at and asked someone, "How do I get there?"

Right as I am convinced our chances for this month were over and that Rhett had probably gone on back to work and I'm totally P.O.ed that I had gone through taking Chlomed and spent $300 on an ultrasound the day before to see if I was ovulating, there comes Rhett walking in the distance. It was kind of like a movie 'cause I wasn't sure it was him and I started moving closer till we met in the middle in a passionate embrace. Okay, so that's not true. As soon as I got close enough to be sure it was him, I started screaming at him to hurry. I did smile at him though 'cause I was really glad to see him.

So, once again, Rhett pulled us through and saved the day and I think just maybe he might be a little more receptive to having a cell phone.
Totally lovin' my hero,
Mama Said

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too Funny! Ya'll have the funniest stories! Well, I'm praying for you and your family and for God to show you His plan. Good luck and God Bless. Missing you bunches!

Love ya,
Casi

Anonymous said...

WOW! What an adventure! ;) I'll be anxious to hear the outcome!!! Love you!!! Em

Bean's Mom said...

just stumbled on your blog.....and this is the post I LOVE. I went through infertility and did a couple IUI's myself. Looking at my wonderful three year old daughter, I still get a little weirded out that we "made" her without "making her". My husband and I joke about how thank goodness she doesn't look like the doc!
So, good luck to you. I look forward to coming back to see how you are doing. I will be thinking of you. And I will spare you the "just relax and don't stress spiel", I know better than most that that isn't even a possibility.

 

Made by Lena