when exactly does it pay off to "patiently" teach your child how to do tasks around the house? I am a basket case from doing it!
I have been planning on starting BFG on some you're-part-of-the-family-you-have-to-contribute chores and some chores that earn commissions in 2010. But because I am having surgery next week, I knew I should put it off til February so we could be consistent.
However, BFG has really been wanting an I Spy computer game and she had run out of birthday money. So, Rhett being the darling, thoughtful man he is, told BFG she could do chores around the house to earn the money for the game. It was a brilliant idea! BFG was pumped! The problem is I'm the one who is left dealing with having her "help" me around the house.
I have been insane! There was one day I literally had to bite my tongue to keep from offering her the money to not do the chores. I really wanted her to run off and watch TV and just let me clean the darn house. But I knew that would obviously send a very wrong message.
So, here I am with days like that and Rhett comes home from work every day and says, "Here, BFG, I've got you a present. Here's a dollar for your I Spy envelope."
Great. The chores were his idea. How is that fair? He gets to be the free-money hero while I'm the grumpy old chore troll! What the heck? Oh, well. I did get her to keep her shoes picked up for three days straight for a dollar. That was like a piece of heaven not having to trip over them or remind her to pick them up or pry them out of the dog's mouth. Aaaaaah . . . . .
She finally only needed two more dollars. I was going to Target anyway. So, when she asked for an icee and popcorn, I said why don't we use that $2 and put it toward I Spy? She agreed and was thrilled. Hey, she didn't work for it, but it still taught her something about money, right? And I really, really wanted to do my own chores today in peace and that was totally worth $2!
At Target, she said that if they make any more I Spy games, she thinks she will get sick of doing chores. Oh, my love, just wait til February when you are doing most of the same stuff for free.
Mama Said
How We Found Out Our Son Had Cancer...Again
6 years ago


1 comment:
ROTFL!! Funny post... I need to be doing the same thing, though. I think I'm going to get those "Clean Zone" flip chart thingys. Maybe that will help! :)
Jacquelyn
Post a Comment