Following up on the whole "Loser Mom" thing . . .
I made a really dumb choice today. After months and months of debating the swine flu vaccine (and yes, it's friggin' swine flu, not H1N1 in my world), I narrowed everything down to today.
Yup, today was the "big day" and I had made a huge decision to get the Flu Mist. I am/was a little scared since it is a live virus. But BFG always gets a bad skin reaction from flu shots and I think it's from the thimerosal in them. The only thimerosal-free ones here were at the health dept. for kids younger than her. And, let's face it, I was not going to wait in line with literally 1000 people for a chance they might give her one. Leaving us the only other thimerosal-free option---the Flu Mist. And, anyway, a little squirt of the nose is a piece of cake to a kid compared to a needle in the arm, right?
Oh, boy, was I ever wrong! This was one of the worst experiences I've had with her in the doctor's office--ranking right up there with taking her blood when she was three to check her lead levels and one time when she was two I thought she had a bladder infection and they had to catheterize her to get a sample. Yeah, a squirt up the nose ranks with that. Can you believe it? I can't. I'm still furious!
It should have been so simple. We went to a walk-in clinic that we frequent for flu shots. I went first to show her what it was like. It was like nothing. Nothing, ya'll! Kind of like a little bit of nasal saline spray running down the back of your throat. Easy peasy.
Oh, not for BFG. They do have to do a squirt up each nostril which should have been my warning sign. Yeah, the nurse got the first squirt done and BFG starts squalling saying it burned, it burned. There is no way that burned! I don't know if the nurse maybe scraped the inside of her nose with the syringe or something. But that mist did NOT burn. So, she is screaming bloody murder. The entire clinic can hear us. I'm promising her milkshakes and ice cream dipped in gold if she'll let the nurse do the other one. No dice. Scream, scream, cry, cry, wail, wail.
Then, ooooh, the taboo happened. It started dripping out of her nose. The nurse panics and starts saying, "Tilt your head back. Tilt your head back." I'm grabbing BFG's chin trying to tilt it up. BFG is screaming harder and trying to avoid the syringe at all costs. Drip, drip. The nurse, " Lay down! Lay down!"
So, basically, we got BFG laid down. There was no consoling her. So, we had to hold her and force the rest up the second nostril with her screaming. Yeah, and this was supposed to be easier than a shot. I was fuming. I feel a little sorry for her now since she was obviously scared of something and it turned into a traumatic experience. But I was pretty darn mad. I know what it felt like and it was a simple, simple painless procedure. All she had to do was let them squirt it up her nose. It was ridiculous!
She doesn't even flinch at shots. I should have just gotten the darn shot and prayed for the best. Afterward, she said the mist was way worse then the shot. Oh, really? That's funny since it's pain-free. But, oh well. I guess it'll be the shot from now on for her. I hope her life never depends on me getting something up her nose because now it will never happen.
It's always right when I feel confident I've done the best I could or made the best decision that everything falls apart. I don't know why I waste my time worrying and researching.
Mama Said
How We Found Out Our Son Had Cancer...Again
6 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment